• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Are hughes engines a good company?

Gribb

Reaction score
I recently bought a set of heads from Hughes engines. Eledbrock heads with their cnc big mouth porting. They Speced me and built the roller cam. I also bought retro fit roller lifters from them. It's all supposed to be here this week. Everything I read and reviewed said they are A ok. Just wanted a little input from the guys that know mopars more than I. Which isn't a lot. Thanks in advance for your input.

moper

Reaction score
You'll find those that love them, those that like their stuff but don't want to deal with them, and those that had issues and hate them. Sound familiar?...lol. I'm in the 2nd group. Bought some parts once, talked to Dave a little about them & was treated like a 2yr old. Haven't bought a single part in the 15 years since and I have no trouble equaling their output.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I am with Moper , the products seem ok but Dave is an a$$ to deal with so I take my business elsewhere . not the be all end all for sure

Adam

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents. A Hughes cam is the only cam I have ever wiped a lobe on. I used the cam lube, pre-oiled the engine, etc, and had 3 lobes go bad during the break in. I have built several engines, never a problem until that one, and no problems after. I will accept the blame, but I am suspicious of their aggresive cam lobe profiles. It's a real drag to tear down a fresh engine, swap cams, and know there is a bunch of metal that went through the motor. You should be ok with the roller lifters.

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
I recently bought a set of heads from Hughes engines. Eledbrock heads with their cnc big mouth porting. They Speced me and built the roller cam. I also bought retro fit roller lifters from them. It's all supposed to be here this week. Everything I read and reviewed said they are A ok. Just wanted a little input from the guys that know mopars more than I. Which isn't a lot. Thanks in advance for your input.

Like you I knew nothing about this company when I bought a set of Indy heads and bolts from them. Speaking about my experience only, I had no issues at all. I placed my order over the phone, heads arrived pretty quick. Plus I neglected to order the correct bolts for these heads and they shipped them out right away to me as well. I have heard plenty of negative things about them but mine was positive hope yours is too!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Engle used to grind all of the cams for Hughes until hughes demanded all Mopar sales go through them , not sure who grinds cams for them now , I just bought direct from Engle to cut out the middleman

Gribb

Reaction score
Everything showed up as ordered, no problems so far. I too forgot the head bolts but they caught it before I did and shipped them as well. Should be back running again by next weekend, I hope.

piantm

Reaction score
Yes, they been great to work with. Bought heads and vlv train from them. All parts delivered on time. Had some tech issues with the vlv train. Talked to them several times for diagnostic help. Always helpful.

6packFI

Reaction score
Used their solids with their EDM lifter, no problems. Their website is from the dinosaur era and is as hard to use as 440 Source's is easy. That being said, no complaints.

YO7_A66

Reaction score
I have bought a few sets of valve springs, retainer sets, lock sets, and a Timing chain set from Hughes and the parts were good. I recently bought a SFT cam/EDM lifters/springs from them and the parts are running good. I did get a bad cam from them and they replaced it quickly with no issues.
During the cam install I had a couple of questions and Dave replied to me as I was stupid and I should have already known the answers. I feel that they sell good parts but add me to the list that Dave is an ass!!!
With that being written, will I buy more parts in the future from Hughes? Yes I will!
Will I do everything I can not to deal with Dave in the future? Yes I will.
There was another gentlemen named Tim that helped me spec the cam and he was nice and responded respectfully. Tim is a good guy 👍

Last edited:

fasjac

Reaction score
Engle used to grind all of the cams for Hughes until hughes demanded all Mopar sales go through them , not sure who grinds cams for them now , I just bought direct from Engle to cut out the middleman
I have bought a few sets of valve springs, retainer sets, lock sets, and a Timing chain set from Hughes and the parts were good. I recently bought a SFT cam/EDM lifters/springs from them and the parts are running good. I did get a bad cam from them and they replaced it quickly with no issues.
During the cam install I had a couple of questions and Dave replied to me as I was stupid and I should have already known the answers. I feel that they sell good parts but add me to the list that Dave is an ass!!!
With that being written, will I buy more parts in the future from Hughes? Yes I will!
Will I do everything I can not to deal with Dave in the future? Yes I will.
There was another gentlemen named Tim that helped me spec the cam and he was nice and responded respectfully. Tim is a good guy 👍
I’ve never used them but, I hear this way to often. Why people can’t act professional on the phone is so stupid. We deal with people everyday that don’t know exactly what they want or just looking for advice. The person on the other side is an opportunity to sell parts/service to and build a relationship that should impact their revenue flow. I will not tolerate an employee or vendor acting as such. JMO

Mopar Mitch

Reaction score
I buy from Hughes very often... and they have been good to me without any problems, as well as some machine work. They can offer good advice ... what you need to know (maybe you already had known some of it). as well as some tips/advice that maybe you should consider.

70Hardtop

Reaction score
I'm in Australia and I can only relate second hand info. A guy I know and have dealt with several times (who isn't poor either) told me how
he used to buy gear from Hughes until he got abused once over the phone by DH, said he was the most arrogant person he has yet come across. Not sure if he still shops there but it sure stopped me buying there. There's plenty of other places to get equipment, here and in the USA.

convdart440

Reaction score
I called them one time asking if they could repair a lifter bore that was out of spec on my 340 and exactly how would they do the repair etc. They ( didn't get to speak to Dave ) said they could but would have to see the engine, and that would be answered during the rebuild process after clean up and inspection of the engine. So far reasonable, and was quoted a min of 800 depending on what they find and how it would need to be repaired. It was going to cost 5k to get to that point and 14k for a level one build since they don't do " stock " rebuilds, with a 6 month waiting period. Was informed that If the engine was not able to be repaired whether it was not cost effective or just worn out that I would still have to pay for work performed up to that point so they would require payment up front before work would begin on my engine. I passed

Back