• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

auto meter/classic dash replacement instrument panels

rogue

Reaction score
unfortunately no replies so far... if i end up doing it, it won't be for a while (likely next summer), but if i do i'll post pics and a review

tklockwood

Reaction score
I was considering one of those but decided not to use it because it had a strange layout. This appears to be a revised, symmetrical version which I like a lot better than the original version. This is a much better design than it had been.

Too late though.

In the meantime I have built my own that is wider and uses the space previously used for the headlight switch and dimmer for gauges and, more importantly to me, a/c vents. I have outer holes on each end to hold vintage Air penta slyders. I always considered it a flaw that the a/c vents are down on the heater control on one side and practically on the passenger side on the other. I like my a/c blowing right at me.

But that is just me...

rogue

Reaction score
tklockwood... any pictures? I'd also be interested to know how you built it

tklockwood

Reaction score
tklockwood... any pictures? I'd also be interested to know how you built it

Sorry. I just noticed this question now. I do have pictures. They are in my build thread: My 70/72 'Cuda (re) build.

That thread has been pretty stagnant but is about to see a flurry of activity. The link is to page 3 because that is where the gauge stuff is. Once I have it in the dash again, I will post pictures of it "in context" and with the Penta Slyders, which are awesome!

I started with a sheet metal frame that I created to fit the opening. I took a lot of measurements for locating the gauges and such but didn't cut the holes until I got the plastic. I bought some black textured sheet plastic from ePlastics.com, cut it to fit my sheet metal gauge cluster, then used a heat gun to heat it and form it to the shape of the sheet metal.

Then I drilled the center (pilot) holes for the gauge openings and then used that to drill accurately through the plastic, using the sheet metal with the pilot holes behind it for control. Then I went ahead and drilled the gauge openings through the sheet metal as well. I bought these killer black billet LEDs from Oznium that I will be installing in the cluster for turn signals, high beams, brake light, etc. They have them in the correct colors for all of those functions.

The layout is intended to make the gauges as visible as possible through the steering wheel. The idea is for the Speedo, Tach, Gas gauge, and Volt gauge to be visible through the wheel and the Temp and Oil Pressure gauges to be visible outside the wheel. I am not sure I actually achieved that, but I will find out when I get it back together soon.

I don't know if that answers your question but I sort of hit the highlights. Let me know if you have any questions.

The car was on a rotisserie for a very long time but the bottom is now finished. Not final assembly but the cleaning, degreasing, de-rusting, custom modification, etc. as well as the final coating of white spray in truck bed liner to protect it. Now I am starting to assembled the whole car to make sure it all fits after my custom work, and do all the wiring before I tear it halfway back apart to do the external body work.

It never ends...

ragtopdodge

Reaction score
Weird layout.

For the money you're spending on gauges, etc., just get the Dakota Digital setup. Much cleaner and uses the stock Rallye housings.
prd_ssh_3980_7353.jpg

tklockwood

Reaction score
I have never liked the rallye setup myself. I don't like the fake woodgrain. For that reason I have always preferred the non-rallye setup in 'Cudas. But personal preference for sure. I am actually not a big fan of those gauges either now that I look at them. Lots of work, but I prefer what I have built. I also prefer having the A/C outlets where they belong (in my face) instead of way down on the left and over on the passenger side.

tklockwood

Reaction score
I should have mentioned this before but my layout is actually optimized to make sure I can see what I really need to see at all times. So the Tach and Speedo show through the steering wheel and the Oil and Temp gauges are outside of it. The gas and volt gauges are the ones most blocked by the steering wheel but are what I consider least important. When you need to see them, you can make it a point to. Seemed like a good idea to me.

rogue

Reaction score
the dakota digital is nice but i'm just not that into it... i have already a lot invested in gauges that i like so i'd prefer to do something i can mount them in... considering a customer set up like tklockwoods.

aussiemark

Reaction score
I have found Defi gauges to be the best around made in Japan electronic with stepping motor action, adjustable warnings with alarm and light, record and play back feature allows you to view all gauge movements after driving with engine switched off, neater wiring (daisy chain), not cheap but you get what you pay for. you don't have to monitor the gauges just set the warning where you want and if the alarm sounds you just look for the gauge with the red warning light on and check it.

tklockwood

Reaction score
I have the electronic stepper motor versions of the AutoMeter gauges, Mopar branded. I like that they are American made, even if the pieces are not all made here. I also have friends that work there since it is literally 7 miles from where I used to live. That, uhhhh, enabled me to get a discount on my gauges too. But I would have bought them even without the discount.

rogue

Reaction score
yeah, i've got autometer cobalt gauges, i'm happy with them

Back