• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

B&M Flex-plate

sdcbowler

Reaction score
Looking for some advice here. I purchased this flex-plate many years ago for my engine (426 wedge, 440 cast crank, 6-bolts, damper number 3577785 [USE WITH 440 CAST CRANK ONLY], externally balanced, no weights on the converter. Should I grind of the weight welded onto the flex-plate, or leave it? I have no idea.

Thanks

IMG_20220716_160043382.jpg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Looks modified as a custom balance for 1 particular engine , the B&M plates are not delivered new like this

sdcbowler

Reaction score
OK. That makes perfect sense to me. Please allow me to phase the question another way. Consider the specs I mentioned, if I were to purchase the identical plate, would I have to add any weights to it, or could I install it right out the box?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Hard to know , did the engine vibrate with that flex plate before ?
You have a unique combo with a 426 W & cast 440 crank so the pistons should be lighter than 440 & you could have LY or 6 pack rods in there which will affect balance also .
If the engine was balanced with that plate when built it needs it .
Why do you want to replace it ?

sdcbowler

Reaction score
The engine came with a stock flexplate. I wanted to upgrade so I got this one. I went to the B&M website where I found about 12 others who asked the same question. Based on the specs of my engine and torque converter, I discovered that I can use this flexplate. I just have to grind the weight off, which I did today. Also, the original plate and converter did not have any weights added so I should be good to go.

Chryco, thanks much for you assistance.

340challconvert

Reaction score
I had a similar problem to solve. I am pulling a 1970 small block 340 and installing a 360 non-magnum while I work on the 340. The 340 is internally balanced w no need for the flex plate or weighted torque converter. I bought a flex plate that is weighted to be used with the 360 along with the proper dampener. I will use the original torque converter (non-weighted).

1658180920396.jpeg

I would just buy the proper flex plate for your application IMO

heminut

Reaction score
I would just buy the proper flex plate for your application IMO
His application is unique, to quote Chryco Psycho;

"You have a unique combo with a 426 W & cast 440 crank so the pistons should be lighter than 440 & you could have LY or 6 pack rods in there which will affect balance also."

Back