• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

backcushion hold down

tim clein

Reaction score
i have a 71 challenger vert 10/70 that has two hold down latches ?for rear seat cushion on each side of rear floor neither works what is correct position on floor for these?(dimensions) i know it isn't supposed to have two on each side

tim clein

Reaction score
well i will. but what i have is wrong. i just want correct spot to weld bracket in once rain quits and i can pull car out i will take a few i guess my car was built on a Friday late or Mon morning

tim clein

Reaction score
DSCF0095.JPG

tim clein

Reaction score
ok here is pic of latch? what is the correct distance from step well or back firewall ? sorry about double post i am not a expert at posting pics

rbbruno3

Reaction score
Looks correct to me possibly a little bent hard to tell from that picture Slides between the two pieces then latches in the lower peace

tim clein

Reaction score
Looks correct to me possibly a little bent hard to tell from that picture Slides between the two pieces then latches in the lower peace
yeah i know how it is supposed to work but mine are in wrong place !

rbbruno3

Reaction score
Maybe vert seats are different,and you have the wrong seat. I’m sure someone here knows.

tim clein

Reaction score
Maybe vert seats are different,and you have the wrong seat. I’m sure someone here knows.
well i have owned car since 1979 i am pretty sure i have correct cushion. since i didn't haul passengers i didn't really concern myself with the hold downs as cushion laid in correct spot. But i am getting older and feel the need to correctly install rear cushion i still don't haul passengers but the quality of restorations has improved over 30 yrs i want to fix this problem the correct way even though it left assy line incorrectly. many other things are odd? such as 70 strg colum 70 trans mount etc. again these things didn't matter to me 30+ yrs ago but i am more patient now and there is a lot more known about these cars than back in the day. as i said car was built 10/70 maybe new people on line? who knows !

doubleyellow

Reaction score
My 70 Vert also has a strange bottom latch bracket, but only on one side!! I'll try to take a pic. It's driving me crazy why they did that (always chalk it up first to Chrysler's world-class Quality:BangHead:).

The second bracket sticks out and cuts into the carpeting.......tempted to saw it off, but trying to figure out why it's there in the first place.

tim clein

Reaction score
ok mystery solved ! thru a friend of friend found a 70 chall vert built 10/69 his also had four latches on floor ! front ones were hammered flat and dimension to front of rear latch is 3 inches approx he said seat does latch, but you really have to push on cushion ! new question why were there FOUR latches ? does anyone know ???? oh and thanks to those who tried to understand what i was asking

Last edited:

terrywalker

Reaction score
ok mystery solved ! thru a friend of friend found a 70 chall vert built 10/69 his also had four latches on floor ! front ones were hammered flat and dimension to front of rear latch is 3 inches approx he said seat does latch, but you really have to push on cushion ! new question why were there FOUR latches ? does anyone know ???? oh and thanks to those who tried to understand what i was asking

My 71 Challenger convertible has a 11-70 build date. Here's a photo of the rear seat hold down brackets. My car also has two on each side. It seems like back in the mid 70s, the one on the passenger side broke a couple of spot welds so I had it tack welded in the same spot. Red Primer. I hope this helps.
Terry

Rear Seat Brackets 1 (Medium).jpg

Rear Seat Brackets PS 2 (Medium).jpg

Rear Seat Bracket DS 3 (Medium).jpg

tim clein

Reaction score
My 71 Challenger convertible has a 11-70 build date. Here's a photo of the rear seat hold down brackets. My car also has two on each side. It seems like back in the mid 70s, the one on the passenger side broke a couple of spot welds so I had it tack welded in the same spot. Red Primer. I hope this helps.
Terry

View attachment 57183

View attachment 57184

View attachment 57185
yes that is what my car had also ! but i still don't know why there were two on each side. but i know now my car is not the only one i like i thought!

terrywalker

Reaction score
yes that is what my car had also ! but i still don't know why there were two on each side. but i know now my car is not the only one i like i thought!

I wonder if all the floor pans came with one set welded in prior to floor installation on the assembly line. When a convertible came along, they had to weld in the second set to allow for the narrower depth back seat cushion bottom. Just a thought. Now you know your car wasn't messed up. I haven't had my back seat out in over 20 years. Now I'll clean floor pan up and paint the blue over the primer spot. While I'm doing that, I may as well pull the seats, remove the heater box and put in new soft seals and then put in new carpet. Just snowballs once you do one thing.
Terry

tim clein

Reaction score
I wonder if all the floor pans came with one set welded in prior to floor installation on the assembly line. When a convertible came along, they had to weld in the second set to allow for the narrower depth back seat cushion bottom. Just a thought. Now you know your car wasn't messed up. I haven't had my back seat out in over 20 years. Now I'll clean floor pan up and paint the blue over the primer spot. While I'm doing that, I may as well pull the seats, remove the heater box and put in new soft seals and then put in new carpet. Just snowballs once you do one thing.
Terry
perhaps ? as far as the rest.... slippery slope ! the rear latch seems to be more (factory like) the front one which i don't use seems to be the afterthought. maybe some one else has the answer as to why or what for?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Terry
You are correct. The metal shop put one in when they did a run of floors. Another was added on the assembly line due to the convertible rear seat back being different.

tim clein

Reaction score
so coupes use the forward latches? i don't have a coupe anymore to check but it does kind of make sense. still why does build sheet say (handwritten) conv ? i would have thought a little more planning on line than last minute mods but i guess it was before computers so i it does make the most sense . and does answer my question !

Last edited:
Back