• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

BAD C-PILLAR MOPAR ROOF WELDING - fixing it right?

hofilbert

Reaction score
We all know Chrysler had sloppy welds on their C-pillar roof joints and tried to cover it up, or lessen the obvious, by putting on a vinyl roof. I guess "because it was original" but it baffles me that someone would restore a car and make it pristine and like show-room new in every way and then leave the horrible welds under the new vinyl roof. I am doing a search for another car and found what I like - a 4-spd, matching #s, nice color, even nice wheels. But in the walk-around there is a 1/2 a sausage on the C-pillar under the vinyl roof from the weld and coverup. The other half of the sausage is on the other C-pillar weld. I can't live with those poor welds under the vinyl roof. What would we be talking in upholsterer or body person to take up the vinyl enough to smooth the welds on both sides, and then put the vinyl back? Is that a simple easy job? Any guesstimates on what that might cost? I've never had a vinyl roof car before and I like the car, I just hate those poor welds.

70chall440

Reaction score
As you talking about the seam where the quarter meets the roof? If so that isn't a weld issue, its probably more of a rust issue under the lead that is on that seam. From the factory they spot welded the quarter and roof together and that left a gap about 1/2" (or more) wide and probably 1/8 - 1/4 deep, they then filled that in with lead. Too many times (especially in vinyl top cars) moisture wicked down under the lead and created rust which then pushes the lead up creating the "sausage" you are referring to.

I hate to tell you that while it "may" be possible to pull up the top it is not overly likely it can be done cleanly enough to effect a repair and then put it back down. You are better off replacing the vinyl completely.

Ele115

Reaction score
It's probably rust growing underneath, creating gases which are pushing the vinyl away and loosening the glue. It's really hard to predict what is involved until you actually get under everything and actually see what is there.

Ele115

Reaction score
Anybody that tells you what it would cost will be less than candid. I have seen people slather putty over rust and put vinyl or paint right over it and sell it. I have also seen minor surface rust that was gassing it up and looked worse than it was. I cannot tell you what you have nor what the guy that you hire has in mind for a repair. I am not going all doom and gloom on you, just that it would be best to try to get one side of the top carefully pulled up if possible and find someone you trust locally to assess it from there. Nobody here knows much more than you do. The good news is, even if it's a pretty involved repair, the vinyl top gives you a break off point in most cases so you can stay out of the quarter panels for the most part. MOST times

Ele115

Reaction score
70Chall440 is correct about the lead too, if it still has lead. Lead kind of loosens up over the decades. It also allows some moisture in near where the backlite is and it travels forward along the seam and slowly rusted the underside of that gap. It took a long time for this to be an issue, long after the cars had changed hands several times. If the car didn't get a vinyl, it really popped under red or black paint

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I wouldn’t be too hard on Chrysler for welds on cars that weren’t engineered to last 10 years let alone 50.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Any guesstimates would be a shot in the dark without seeing it.It's an iceberg .Pictures would help. Here's what it should look like underneath.just spot welds.I have used a number of body products since the 70s.If there is a lot of hype on the product there's a lot of gype.Found this one a number of years ago.read up on it.others might have there own thoughts on others.Don't forget metal prep.

Attachments

• 20050106 073.jpg
    20050106 073.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 20050106 074.jpg
    20050106 074.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 148
  • 20171003_6292.JPG
    20171003_6292.JPG
    582.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 20210607_073518.jpg
    20210607_073518.jpg
    647.2 KB · Views: 145

moparlee

Reaction score
Any ideas what that would cost to fix the weld/rust and put on a vinyl roof?
My last vinyl roof was $450 for the install only, 4 years ago. Check with Legendary for the purchase cost.

Last edited:

hofilbert

Reaction score
The left side looks worse than the right side. In fact, the right side looks like it is shallow.

Attachments

• chalRED-comp.jpg
    chalRED-comp.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 149

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Ah come on! I showed you mine with her top up.show us hers! No just kidding.You might not like what you see underneath. There might be more damage then what it looks like. rear window channel or even holes in the roof.The others are posting good info.

70chall440

Reaction score
There are a number of methods to repair that seam, you can go old school and fill back with lead or use a "non-lead" (but similar to lead) filler (Eastwood sells it) or use something like Allmetal.

The cost depends on your level of involvement.

Ele115

Reaction score
I lead them, but that's just me. The factory used lead so I want to do it the same way. Some of the cheaper aftermarket panels will buckle though.

I haven't seen a can of "Metal Fuzion" in ages.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Between Metal Fusion and All Metal My desistion was a crap shoot between the two. I think I bought a number of quarts on Amazon. I like the way it finished out. almost like sanding lead. Only place I foud lead was on the rocker and 1/4 pannel joint. The roof panel was body putty.maybe someone would have some input on the All Metal. still on Amazon. Amazon product ASIN B00U1J9ZP6 also All metal at Amazon Amazon product ASIN B0082LFAI6

budascuda

Reaction score
Ok,
Let's say you will not like what's underneath (and you won't) and you decide to fix it and do it right!
In that case, $2500 or less if that Is the only issue, but not too much less for a 'job done right'
Remember, it also has to be addressed from inside in order to prevent condensation to get into the seam ....

Hofil, $2500 is nothing in your world!

Ele115

Reaction score
Ok,
Let's say you will not like what's underneath (and you won't) and you decide to fix it and do it right!
In that case, $2500 or less if that Is the only issue, but not too much less for a 'job done right'
Remember, it also has to be addressed from inside in order to prevent condensation to get into the seam ....

Hofil, $2500 is nothing in your world!
Absolutely !!! The backsides and the inaccessible areas where moisture and oxygen have a party is the issue on a lot of these cars. Also, a lot of backside areas where Chrysler just didn't paint or even prime and it rusted quick. They missed a lot of areas on the cars. I always consider, when you have that 1/4" or 5/16" gap where they spot welded, then it's leaded....it's crucial to totally clean and tin inside that little trench before you solder. The tiniest unclean or un-tinned area inside the gap is going to grow rust and mildew. Then there is the backside of it.....

R4Sedan

Reaction score
Well i've been shopping around in my area to install a Vinyl top in my area is $700 and $1000.
I got two estimates. The only two shops I can find that still do them. And I already have the top
from Legendary which is $300. So it's not cheap.

Ele115

Reaction score
I was using a guy in Ft Lauderdale that comes when he can get around to it, drinks a big bottle of liquor and just brings a roll of vinyl and has a sewing machine in a van. His work is excellent. But he will come when the mood hits him and if you call him too many times he won't come at all. His prices were decent and I didn't mind his terms. I can do upholstery but I absolutely hate it and I'm not as good as Henry. He did killer convert tops too. I've never attempted one

Back