• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

BB vs SB 26 inch radiator

Ron770

Reaction score
Hi all my 73 Barracuda, 318 aircon came with a 26 inch 3 core radiator. Question is other than the location of the outlets is there any other major differences with the earlier 70/71 440 radiators? I am installing a 440 and wondering if original radiator is up to the task.

Reaction score
Your 318 26" radiator should be ok to use for the 440 swap, provided that you are positive it's in good shape , no damaged fins or partly plugged tubes.
Have a rad shop check it out just to be sure, when they swap the hose connections over.
Do you have the fan shroud? I'd get one if you don't.

Ccas

FEBO Vendor
FEBO Vendor
Reaction score
How much hp is the 440 you are building? And is the car otherwise bone stock? Are you looking to be judged for originality at shows? It's quite possible that a good solid 3 row would get the job done but you are talking about a 45 year old radiator and you are potentially pushing the limit of that 3 row if you've built up that 440. The last thing any of us want to deal with is watching the temps creep up when sitting in traffic or pushing a bunch of hot air into the interior when going down the road. You should at least consider going with a bigger core radiator just for the sake of being safe and KNOWING you won't have any cooling issues. Something to think about.

Back