• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Best place to get a 440 crate motor?

Avalanche

Reaction score
Looking to install a new 440 crate motor. I heard a lot of horror stories, so I looking for someone who has had a good experience with a crate motor.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I would talk to Blueprint engines , they have a good reputation , you may have to supply a block for them to work with .
You also need to decide what you want to build , I usually build the 512" , the kit includes new crank ,rods , pistons , rings , bearings ,all balanced from 440 Source for about the same cost as rebuilding the old parts , the 512 is a killer , it removes about 7 lbs from the rotating mass so it revs quicker & makes a ton of power at reasonable RPM , basically a win all the way round . I would also use the deeper windage tray with the 512 pkg . Plan on about 10.8 :1 compression wit a alum heads or 10.0:1 with Iron heads for pump gas use .
For heads the best choice right now is either the Stealths from 440 Source for low cost or the Trick Flow heads to make the best power with the extra CI .

440rush

Reaction score
I have 493 in a Charger from Blue Print too. That was about 6 years ago with no issues at all. Like Chryo Psycho said 440's are getting harder to find. You might have to get them a block. I also had ATK rebuilt 360 all stock for a work truck many years ago that held up well. At that time I think they came with a 3 year 36k mile warranty. But that would only be for a stock rebuild.

Last edited:

Avalanche

Reaction score
I would talk to Blueprint engines , they have a good reputation , you may have to supply a block for them to work with .
You also need to decide what you want to build , I usually build the 512" , the kit includes new crank ,rods , pistons , rings , bearings ,all balanced from 440 Source for about the same cost as rebuilding the old parts , the 512 is a killer , it removes about 7 lbs from the rotating mass so it revs quicker & makes a ton of power at reasonable RPM , basically a win all the way round . I would also use the deeper windage tray with the 512 pkg . Plan on about 10.8 :1 compression wit a alum heads or 10.0:1 with Iron heads for pump gas use .
For heads the best choice right now is either the Stealths from 440 Source for low cost or the Trick Flow heads to make the best power with the extra CI .

I was on there website and they only have small block crate engines available.
I may need to call them and make sure they are still building big block engines.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Which is why I suggested you may have to source a block for them to build , otherwise I am sure they can machine what you need .
Or if you can find a good local shop with a good reputation with Mopars get a block & 440 Source kit & Have it built

Back