• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Body bumpers have me stumped

David DiMartino

Reaction score
At the risk of just sounding stupid, how on earth do you install new body bumpers? I just can't seem to get the retainer part to go through the hole in the sheet metal. I have tried lubricating them and still no luck. Laugh at me if you want but I just can't figure it out. Somebody please help.

Dave D

budascuda

Reaction score
I usually find enough room BEHIND the panel to grab, wiggle and PULL the cone shaped nipple or retainer through it's mounting hole in the sheet metal.
That has always worked the best for me.

If I can't reach behind the panel, or the retainers don't have a long enough extension that could be grabbed and pulled , then I use a carpenter's 1/16 nail punch or something like it to gradually and gently PUSH in the rim of the retainer through the mounting hole a little at a time.
( tucking it in with a side action from the punch )
This method hasn't worked for me on every occasion!

By the way, I have found soap solutions work better than grease or oil. I think some oils can deteriorate the rubber material in body bumpers.

Last edited:

David DiMartino

Reaction score
Fantastic, thanks for the tips. When I bought this car, many years ago, I barely knew anything about cars. I have learned a lot over the years, but some of the little things still get me. It's great to have forums like this to get help

Back