• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Borgeson steering box installation problems

sprecks

Reaction score
I just got a new Borgeson steering box and tried to install it in my car. Has anyone ever installed one of these units in a car with a gen 2 Hemi? My car has stock exhaust manifolds and seems to be hitting the manifold at the backside of # 1 cylinder. I removed the manifold to install the box and can not get the manifold back on because of the clearance issue.

Adam

Reaction score
I have not done this mod, but can you post a pic? How much interference is there? Maybe relieve the exhaust manifold in that spot?; Taller motor mounts?

sprecks

Reaction score
Here's a pic. I am considering getting the grinder out and relieving the manifold a bit like you suggest. It looks like the manifold bolt holes need about 1/8 inch to line up. Like the engine needs to move forward about 1/8 inch.

135553449_1314333255602893_907792332742602927_n.jpg

sprecks

Reaction score
No reply from Borgeson yet. I just sent them a message a little bit ago. I doubt if they reply before Monday. Could be partly my fault for not asking them if it would fit a hemi car before I bought it. The description says all mopar 62 -79.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I think they will have a solution. The hemi swap is getting popular.

sprecks

Reaction score
Just had a thought, how bad would it screw up my front end geometry if I made some 1/4 inch shims to put behind the steering box where it mounts to the k-frame? I think that would give me the clearance needed but I don't want to create a different problem.

70chall440

Reaction score
That might work, I have read where others have shimmed their steering boxes and made it work. A question, would moving the engine up help?

tonysrt

Reaction score
I have a 71 Cuda Gen 2 hemi and repro exhaust manifolds and the borgeson fit perfectly. I also have a hemi K frame with the original style motor mounts. By any chance are using the B k frame and the Schumacher mounts? I have that box in several years already and love it.

sprecks

Reaction score
I have a 71 Cuda Gen 2 hemi and repro exhaust manifolds and the borgeson fit perfectly. I also have a hemi K frame with the original style motor mounts. By any chance are using the B k frame and the Schumacher mounts? I have that box in several years already and love it.
I have a hemi k-frame with original style mounts and reproduction manifolds also.

sprecks

Reaction score
That might work, I have read where others have shimmed their steering boxes and made it work. A question, would moving the engine up help?
I don't think lifting the engine will work. It's more of a forward/aft issue. I have picked up the engine slightly to try to line up the manifold bolt holes with no success. Thanks for the thought though.

tonysrt

Reaction score
I just went and looked at my installation again. I have a lot of room, at least 1/2" and more from manifold. I also have the poly motor mounts, and total thickness looked about 11/4". I'm wondering if there is a difference in the boxes size. I did the Hemi install 18 years ago and the box about 5 years ago. I was just thinking about tranny install, I have a tremec 5 speed. Is tranny crossmember and mount good and installed? I'm just trying to cover some of the bases we don't always think of.

sprecks

Reaction score
I just went and looked at my installation again. I have a lot of room, at least 1/2" and more from manifold. I also have the poly motor mounts, and total thickness looked about 11/4". I'm wondering if there is a difference in the boxes size. I did the Hemi install 18 years ago and the box about 5 years ago. I was just thinking about tranny install, I have a tremec 5 speed. Is tranny crossmember and mount good and installed? I'm just trying to cover some of the bases we don't always think of.
My car has been running for years as well. I always had a manual box and decided to install power steering. I'm running an automatic and the mount is in good shape. My motor mounts are made of rubber and I just measured them to be 1-1/4 inch thick. I'm wondering if my k-frame mount is off a bit? It is a reproduction unit that Megaparts was selling about 15 years ago. If they were off by just a little it could make a lot of difference.

sprecks

Reaction score
I got it together. I ended up remounting the steering box with 1/4 inch thick shims between the box and k-frame. Bingo! The exhaust manifold bolted right up. Thanks for all of your input.

challenger512

Reaction score
Hello. I am also installing the same system. What type of oil do people use on borgeson power steering.

tonysrt

Reaction score
He recommends power steering fluid only, no ATF.

sprecks

Reaction score
He recommends power steering fluid only, no ATF.
Thanks, I haven't put any ATF in it yet so I'll get the power steering fluid. I wish he would write that into the paper work that comes in the box with the unit. I didn't see anything saying what to use. I've used ATF in the factory stock units for 45 years with no issues.

tonysrt

Reaction score
I did my first install in 2013 and the paper work has a picture of the coupler on it and 2nd paragraph under it says "Do Not Use Transmission Fluid". I live about 10 miles from Pete Bergman so I pickup at the shop.

sprecks

Reaction score
I did my first install in 2013 and the paper work has a picture of the coupler on it and 2nd paragraph under it says "Do Not Use Transmission Fluid". I live about 10 miles from Pete Bergman so I pickup at the shop.
I relooked at my installation instructions and sure enough it says to use power steering fluid. My mistake. Instructions, who reads instructions.....lol. Thanks for keeping me from screwing up Tony.

Back