• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Brake chatter

Big J

Reaction score
1970 dodge challenger drum brake to front disc brakes conversion. All went well but !! I started to get left front brake chatter. I soon as I put on
the brakes it goes away. I got the brakes from Summit Racing ( Right Stuff ) any ideas brake pads ?

moparleo

Reaction score
Could very well be The pads can be loose and/or not compatible with the rotors. The rotors were not resurfaced properly..
A lot of things can cause this. What exactly is your set up? Factory Mopar disc swap or aftermarket ? New parts or used ? and maybe a picture ?

Big J

Reaction score
My set up is aftermarket, all new parts. No parts were resurfaced ( mopar factory look alike ) from Summit racing.
And Yes the pad is loose. This was a drum to disc conversion front only.

69hemibeep

Reaction score
Right Stuff uses a slider caliper so the pads are loose and need tightened. Go to about 13:20 on this video to see where to bend and also tighten the anti rattle clips on top of the caliper for more tension

moparleo

Reaction score
There are several companies that use different parts in their conversion kits, and we don't know when you don't tell us.
I hope your kit also included all of the needed hydraulic parts for disc brakes as well. Like the master cylinder, proportioning valve etc...

Here is the actual procedure reprinted from the Factory Service Manual. Everyone needs to have one, and downloads are available for free.
Just because parts are "new" doesn't mean they can just be installed without double checking them.
While I was a store manager for Firestone we always double checked new rotors to make sure they were "true".

Many times they were slightly distorted during shipping.
Parts can be dropped at the factory, the trucking company, the parts warehouse, the shipper to your door etc... As you can see, there are many times that a part can be damaged after it leaves the factory where it was made, so never assume that just because it is new, that you should just assume that it is in perfect condition.
Always follow the Factory Service Manual and/or the aftermarket companies instructions.

Attachments

• brake pad tightening procedure.pdf
    605.4 KB · Views: 148

Big J

Reaction score
Thank you 69hemibeep for your help, You were right on about the brake pad. My noise is gone !! Thank very much plus the video was super.

Big J

Back