• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Brake Lights Not Working

moparlee

Reaction score
Brake lights are not working on my '71 Challenger R/T 4 spd. Don't even know how long it has been.

Things that do work:
Head lights - low and high beam
Tail lights
Back up lights
Parking lights
Turn signals - front and rear
4 way hazards
Dome light
Fuse ok

Brake light switch seems to check out ok - 12v on both sides when pedal depressed. 12v on just the two pink wire connection when pedal is not depressed.
Could it be the turn signal switch and how do I check it?
@Slotts

rklein71

Reaction score
It is possible both brake light bulbs are burnt. I would check for voltage at the bulb first.

Glas86

Reaction score
If that is not it you probably have an issue with the turn signal switch. The brake light goes through the switch to allow for brake light or turn signal for the same bulbs.
As you see in the attached wiring the white or gray wire going in the directional switch is it. Check with a multimeter if you have the brake light signal on that cable, then the issue is somewhere in the switch. If you have the brake signal on the green or brown cable it is something with the bulbs or the ground connection. Your actual color might be different but the postion in the connector should be right.

moparlee

Reaction score
If that is not it you probably have an issue with the turn signal switch. The brake light goes through the switch to allow for brake light or turn signal for the same bulbs.
As you see in the attached wiring the white or gray wire going in the directional switch is it. Check with a multimeter if you have the brake light signal on that cable, then the issue is somewhere in the switch. If you have the brake signal on the green or brown cable it is something with the bulbs or the ground connection. Your actual color might be different but the postion in the connector should be right.
Thanks, this will be my next step. I do have 12v through the 8 pin connector so now I'll move on up and remove the steering wheel and check the wire terminals on the turn signal switch. Mine has the white wire from the brake switch.

340challconvert

Reaction score
I have owned two Challengers that had similar problems years back. Eliminating burned out bulbs, loose connectors,bad grounds and faulty brake lite switch; I have found that in many cases, the turn signal switch is the cause of the problem. Changing it out takes care of it. Just my experience.
Dino2 (1).gif

Reaction score
It is possible both brake light bulbs are burnt. I would check for voltage at the bulb first.

He told us his turn signals work fine. The turn signals and brake lights are the same bulbs and wires from the turn signal switch.

Bulbs are not the problem of the turn signals are working, but it’s good the check them.

I agree, bad turn signal switch if he has power going into the switch connector at the white wire when pressing brake pedal.

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
Yes, 413, speaking specific to just the brake lights.
When the turn signal unit goes faulty, brake lights can be the only function affected.
Back in the early 70's the Challenger I owned had all steering column functions working; except no brake lights.

After hours of going over wiring diagrams and getting frustrated; I finally took it to the dealer who changed out the signal switch and had them working in about an hour. I had it happen to another Challenger I owned later on; same issue.
This time I just changed out the switch. Everything good.
Seems to be a weak spot in our e bodies
Just my experience.
Always appreciate your input on this!
Dino2 (2).gif

moparlee

Reaction score
Got my brake lights working! As I had said earlier I had 12V on both sides of the multi pin connector below the steering column. I figured it wasn't a ground or the bulbs as the signal lights worked ok. Removed the steering wheel and got access to the turn signal switch. Checked all of the wire connections and found that one of the white wires did not have a tight connection. When I wiggled it, the brake lights would go on and off. Lightly peened it and now all is good. Thanks everyone for what to check and how to check it. Glad I was able to save the factory switch.
IMG_20190824_113728 - Copy (2).jpg

340challconvert

Reaction score
Glad you able to repair the original turn signal switch. I see a lot of complaints about the quality and fit of the repro units :steering:

volunteer

Reaction score
Those 'repro/off-shore' replacements are rather fragile. Compare 50 yr.old OEM part as far as the thickness of the 'trippers'. If you pack some (regular wheel-bearing) grease all around those flexible parts, they won't dry out and get brittle and snap off prematurely. :)

i_taz

Reaction score
Got my brake lights working! As I had said earlier I had 12V on both sides of the multi pin connector below the steering column. I figured it wasn't a ground or the bulbs as the signal lights worked ok. Removed the steering wheel and got access to the turn signal switch. Checked all of the wire connections and found that one of the white wires did not have a tight connection. When I wiggled it, the brake lights would go on and off. Lightly peened it and now all is good. Thanks everyone for what to check and how to check it. Glad I was able to save the factory switch.
View attachment 62779

Moparlee, My brake lights are out was wondering if you remember what wires you were getting power. At the male plug coming from the harness I get it at blk & pink with key off / blk,pnk & red with key on. I'm not sure I should be getting anything at the blk since that's supposedly the horn grnd...??? Nothing on white....

Attachments

• E-Body Turn Signal Breakdown Rev1.pdf
    64.4 KB · Views: 175

fasjac

Reaction score
Brake lights are not working on my '71 Challenger R/T 4 spd. Don't even know how long it has been.

Things that do work:
Head lights - low and high beam
Tail lights
Back up lights
Parking lights
Turn signals - front and rear
4 way hazards
Dome light
Fuse ok

Brake light switch seems to check out ok - 12v on both sides when pedal depressed. 12v on just the two pink wire connection when pedal is not depressed.
Could it be the turn signal switch and how do I check it?
@Slotts
Most likely and if it’s original, it’s time.

moparlee

Reaction score
Moparlee, My brake lights are out was wondering if you remember what wires you were getting power. At the male plug coming from the harness I get it at blk & pink with key off / blk,pnk & red with key on. I'm not sure I should be getting anything at the blk since that's supposedly the horn grnd...??? Nothing on white....
I don't think I got to the point of checking for power on any of the individual wires. I started by checking for loose wires and found the one which was causing the problem.
Hope you get it sorted out.

Back