• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Brake Pedal Shaft Removal

Drivun

Reaction score
Is there any reason the brake pedal support shaft pin shouldn't slide to the left after the nut is removed from the right side? I am swapping an auto to a manual so need to remove the auto shaft pin. Using the square knobbie on the left end I can't get the shaft to even rotate, let alone come out. Hammering the right side in gained nothing.
thx

quapman

Reaction score
I believe the hole in the frame that the threaded end fits through is barely a slip fit, so when the nut got tightened at the factory, the hole closes up around the thread. In other words, you may have to unscrew the shaft using the double-D on the other end.

Drivun

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip quapman. I hope tha'ts not the case 'cause the shaft wont turn at all. Thats why I am stuck. Prior owner brush painted under dash - possibly with POR and got it over the doubleD. I ground it off but am worried paint got into the gap and effectively glued it in on the left side. Will see if the right side is crushed, but looking like I need a bigger hammer.

quapman

Reaction score
I'd suggest some heat from a propane torch, but that shaft is typically surrounded by plastic bushings.

Drivun

Reaction score
Thanks to all who contributed. After 5 hours with a dremel to remove paint and a 4lb sledge hammer it final came out. Not sure either the paint or a possible forced thread (quapman's comment) came into play as the shaft still had to be hammered through all the way through the brake pedal to the last inch. Looks like the entire pin not encased in the plastic bushing was swollen with rust. Glad i am retired and not paying someone else +$100/hr to do this!
Thanks again everyone.

quapman

Reaction score
POR is great...for hiding and encapsulating rust. At least you finally got it. We needs pics now.

Drivun

Reaction score
Photo of pin not clear enough. Surface "swelling" from rust seems to be the culprit.
Prior owner coated entire interior floor in gloss black (assume POR) and just slopped some on various nuts under cowl. Rust under dash is surface rust only - slightly more than the 72 El Camino I bought in San Diego.
This car however was bought in rural, redwood country near Boulder Creek CA so above average rainfall, dirt roads and uncovered parking is the rule. Assume it was parked on/above wet earth much of its life. It was in an unpaved car port when bought. Car had factory undercoating and trunk floor was replaced when repainted so I thought I was good. After I took mufflers off to do the 5 speed/engine upgrade, I found I will need patches in rear seat floor. Everything else is solid (fenders, doors,rockers, quarters, deck transition, front floor pans)

Back