• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Cam swap 73 340 cuda automatic

Ralph

Reaction score
Thinking about swapping out my cam in the car. Have not done this in a really long time and will be doing this myself to get more driveability out of my setup.

What pitfalls will I encounter.

-will the oil pan need to be removed when replacing the timing chain cover to seal it properly.

-will I need to check the valve springs going from a larger to smaller cam.

-I know I need to remove the radiator and AC condenser but do I need to remove the front grill as well.

Thanks to all, your feedback has always been great.

R

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The timing cover can be removed & replaced without removing the oil pan but it has to be done carefully .
the springs should be changed to match the cam unless the cam is similar & the springs are relatively new now & require similar spring pressure , you can actually do it without removing the intake using a magnet to replace the lifters .
I always degree cam when I install them to make sure the cam is in correctly as I have seen cam ground 11* out .
Personally I Prefer to use Lunati or Engle cams & have terrible results with Comp .

Ralph

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments.

I am looking at a lunati voodoo cam 10200702, gross valve lift .475 / .494. Spoke with lunati and they thought the springs should match up with the gross valve lift cam I have now at .504. The existing springs have about 2,000 miles on them over the last 5 years give or take so they are pretty new. Degreeing the cam - not sure I am competent enough, lunati states they advance the cam 4 to 6 degrees depending on the cam if you use there timing chain.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I agree , the springs should be fine .
I can help you with degreeing the cam either here or on the phone , you do need a degree wheel & dial indicator with a magnet base to do it tho , or you can take you chances .
The 702 cam is a great choice usually iinstalled 4 * advanced

Ralph

Reaction score
Thanks for your input and I may take you up on help to degree the cam.

Ralph

Reaction score
I finally got my new cam in and it started right up using the start up procedure by Chryco Psycho. Never degreed a cam before and Chryco helped me with that and it was right on. Its the voodoo 702 cam and it sounds great. After the brake in period it settled into a nice idle and I set the distributor at 10 degrees btc and plugged the vacuum advance in. I have the AVS2 650 carb with Edelbrock performer RPM and it had real good throttle response at idle.
Its cold and snowing here so I will wait for warmer weather to fine tune and take for a ride.

So I am a real happy camper right now, time to work on the challenger.

thanks Chryco Psycho and the guys !

Attachments

• DSCN9205.JPG
    DSCN9205.JPG
    925.8 KB · Views: 162
Back