• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Can I use a short shaft (A body) A833 behind a 440 in an E body?

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a 74 Barracuda with a 440 6BBL and a 727. I'd like to do a manual conversion and already have a freshly built A833. However, I bought it for my Scamp, so it's the short tailshaft version of the trans. Other than compensating for this length with a longer driveshaft, would this be possible? I also imagine I might run into a situation where the crossmember won't line up to mount the tailshaft.

Has anyone used a short tailshaft 833 behind a 440 on an E body?

Reaction score
The shifter will be in the wrong location as well, might almost be under the dash as well as the crossmember issues
Use your trans but get an E body tail shaft housing and corresponding E body A833 longer out put shaft and swap them into your rebuilt trans

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
Ah got it, thanks! I didn’t think about simply swapping housings and output shaft. That seems much cheaper and easier than selling my current trans and looking for a new one.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I have done it & it is not worth the work .
I ended up making a L bracket sandwiched between the mount & crossmember to locate the shifter back where it should be & used E body rods .
SO yes it can be done .

Back