• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Can someone please tell me this isn’t the secret vin area

chall7–2

Reaction score
we’re new just gathered information about secret vins in more detail. JH23G0E132463 clear title vin we have in hand.. what does these grind marks mean and why would someone grind off a number unless making the metal smooth for innocent reasons...
I can’t believe this.. is there any other vin area I can look for? To assure us...

41DCF709-F921-4C6C-9FA2-BB38D4EF697D.jpeg

053BC3D5-5105-46BA-81C6-CF9ADFB95C1E.jpeg

Cojohnso

Reaction score
For a '70 E-body? Should have sequence number stamped on the front firewall cowl. just left of brake master cylinder.

chall7–2

Reaction score
Ontop or infront? because google images show the stamp to close for me to see exactly where it is.

chall7–2

Reaction score
Here

Attachments

• 0880C575-FEF8-4D26-831A-3B4369C0D982.jpeg
    0880C575-FEF8-4D26-831A-3B4369C0D982.jpeg
    932 KB · Views: 532
  • AB60030C-A21E-4635-992F-6FAA7F6D7894.jpeg
    AB60030C-A21E-4635-992F-6FAA7F6D7894.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 419

budascuda

Reaction score
not sure about 70, but 73/74 , its slightly (3" or so) to the left of the cowl screen opening, (on the top)

Last edited:

70chall440

Reaction score
I believe there are differences depending on the plant (LA or Hamtramck), most notably whether the stamp is on the top or on the inside and whether the stamp is upside down or not. There was a time when I looked at a number of E bodies and that stamp out of curiosity bc someone told me there were differences. As I recall the location on the core support varied left and right on the Hamtramck cars a little whereas on the LA cars they seemed to be quite a bit of difference; top, inside, right side up, upside down, etc. On my 70 RR which is a LA car it is inside the core support upside down (need a mirror to read it)

chall7–2

Reaction score
Thanks for a little promising thinking I’m going to hold that avenue for tomorrow giving me a days time to recuperate my mind. I’ll update tomorrow. If theirs any secret vins anywhere else please let me know especially on main shell where it’s a definitive proof factor I can rely on to become happier.

70chall440

Reaction score
Despite internet rumor, the VIN locations for E bodies are well known

- dash (riveted plate)
- door sticker
- cowl (stamped)
- radiator core support (stamped)

No where else, not hidden on a frame or under the weather stripping, etc. People have found "numbers" elsewhere in the car but they are not VINs or in anyway associated with the VIN.

Cojohnso

Reaction score
My uncle who was a production coordinator for Chrysler and said they have seen mysterious number and even letter stamps from time to time. There was speculations and rumors. But he never heard any conclusions. But the font size of these stamps were larger. Like what was used decades in the past.

Ok, I completely made that up. But sounded spooky?

fastmark

Reaction score
Hmm. At first glance, it looks like someone has removed the body numbers. The rusty spot on the front side core support indicates to me that the metal was heated and then hammered flat. The numbers are not there for the cowl either. I bet if you take a mirror and look through the open in the cowl underneath, you may see the same thing. Or even the outline of the numbers. Honestly, if it was a 440 RT, I would worry about it. A 318 car, I would not. It does not mean the car is stolen. It means someone had a good body with no title and found a really bad car with a title and swapped them. I’ll send you a picture of where the cowl stamp should be. I’m sure I have one on my phone.

fastmark

Reaction score
It could be that the car was repaired long ago. According to laws in most states, it is legal to replace damaged sheet metal in an manner acceptable for normal collision repair. It has been done for years when the cars were newer and worth saving. You popped the front end of your Challenger and the body shop went the wrecking yard and got a complete front clip and cut yours off and welded on a new one. They may or may not have changed the numbers or hammered them flat. They did not get a title from the yard because it was sent off to the state for destruction. Now days, the insurance companies will not let you fix a car with frame damage so you don’t see it anymore. This only presents problems to all the numbers matching guys out there now but it was common back when they were new.

chall7–2

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. Today I’ll go see in a variety of different areas I didn’t look or sand at well or none. like what 70chall440 said it might be some what to do with LA and Hamtramck production plant. doing a wide variety of different stamping geometry down the assembly line seems someone with a stamping press was working fast stamping each car on the line. Rather spontaneous stamping not uniformed. It doesn’t matter I love this car and worry about this car - it been a parts car all its life but deserves a 440 6 with rallye gauges because of it but doing that might turn it into a parts car in the haul lol. I’ll go out today and check sometime.

chall7–2

Reaction score
I’m building the car on the foundation of the vin my dad purchase by my advice so we feel comfortable enough to place expensive parts on this car.

Last edited:

Rapidfire

Reaction score
Here's the location of the partial vin on my 318 70 challenger if that helps?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    848.4 KB · Views: 271
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    701.4 KB · Views: 244

chall7–2

Reaction score
rephrased: by my advice above I added in a post. Thanks for ebodies. We were mostly concerned for the future and wanted the challenger community to know also future communities so a future sell circumstance don’t backfire if we plan to sell the car anytime by poor luck of us being involved in this hard decision making build. Vin code above adds to our protection and expensive parts added to the car adds to our protection photography also this wasn’t us and we are building upon the shell in a beautiful manner in protection also and people will know this is going on with a legitimate vin code. atleast it’s a community topic for the area rusted for a future string if we sell the car. we are now going to build it as a 440 6 car for a later donor to a r/t. Parts readily available after the 318 car is completed. And sell a vin 318 complete body completely painted for a half off price I believe when we find a r/t car. Thank you.

harlow conrad

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. Today I’ll go see in a variety of different areas I didn’t look or sand at well or none. like what 70chall440 said it might be some what to do with LA and Hamtramck production plant. doing a wide variety of different stamping geometry down the assembly line seems someone with a stamping press was working fast stamping each car on the line. Rather spontaneous stamping not uniformed. It doesn’t matter I love this car and worry about this car - it been a parts car all its life but deserves a 440 6 with rallye gauges because of it but doing that might turn it into a parts car in the haul lol. I’ll go out today and check sometime.
Do you have a title and dash plate that match??

Back