• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Car stalls and wont restart most of the time

JedIEG

Reaction score
I have just finish restoring my 74' 'Cuda and I starting to work out the bugs. Its been completely rewired with a Painless Performance Harness (extra on the pain). It has a rebuilt 360 out of a 71 Chrysler and a Holley 650 CFM double pumper up front and a four speed in the middle. The current problem is possibility electrical.
Cold the car starts right up after a turn or two from the stater. After running for awhile, if the car stalls out it wont restart very quickly. I end up jumping it and then it will finally start after a bit of coaxing. I'm getting tired of wondering every time I start the car if the battery will have enough juice or the started will have enough torque to start her up.
The battery is obviously getting drained by the amount I have to crank the stater.
I am wondering if my stater isnt powerful enough?
Is the battery wrong? Is the voltage regulator bad?
The alternator?
or is the engine vapor locked not letting it start?
Anyone have a suggestion on whats up?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
When the car stalls out and you go to restart is the battery dead? Does the battery die trying to restart the car?

JedIEG

Reaction score
The battery dies off pretty quickly as I crank it trying to restart it (about a minute or so of cranking total before I can hear that there is no way the starter is turning the engine over fast enough). Its a brand new battery and I've even switched it out once for the battery of my Jeep. Same situation. The battery is never dead enough for the lights or any thing to dim after trying.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Have you checked to see if the battery is charging with a voltage meter.etc? When the car dies have you looked into the carb? Is it dry. When you move the linkage does the accelerator pump squirt fuel into the carb, in what would be the air stream, if the car was running? Can you see fuel squirt into the carb?

S-S-P

Reaction score
Check the electronic ignition module; it may be getting exceptionally hot from too much draw after running awhile and then resetting itself (shutting down). If this is a possibility, then check the plug wires to ensure they are actually contacting the electrodes on both the plugs and inside dist cap. Any gaps in the high voltage lines will tax the hell out of your box and overheat it and it will not provide spark until it cools back down and resets. Depending on your setup, making sure your electrodes are actually contacting can be trickier than it seems, unless specifically looking for it - esp in the dist cap.

BTW, its not a defect; Ma Mopar apparently made those ign boxes to do that to keep them from melting down or just catching fire if they overheated. However, if you find that connectivity was your problem I would go ahead and spend the pocket change and get a new ign box anyhow, bc if its been overheated several times it just may no longer be reliable.

Also check the air gap on the dist rotor, and for any play on the dist shaft.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
you need to narrow down of it has spark , it could be either fuel or spark related , next time it is hard starting check for spark , at least we can narrow down where to look

JedIEG

Reaction score
It has spark. It starts up fine when cold. The ignition coil and Ignition module are both new. I haven't had a chance to check every things out after its been running over the past few days do to a large rain cloud that wont go away.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
ok so you have a fuel problem , maybe you are boiling the fuel in the carb , is the heat crossover in the intake blocked off?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
How about fuel pressure? Maybe you are running out of gas to the carb. Have you checked the carb for fuel?

D Dodge

Reaction score
I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a float that leaked and filled with gas, causing a flooding problem.

Ray

Reaction score
Ok I read your first post. You said if it stalls. Let's go one step at a time
Ist how long does it run before it stalls?
2nd when you try to restart does it crank slow.

It could be a combination of battery and starter.
I would start it cold let it warm up shut it down, let it cool and try to restart cold. If it fires up easy my guess would be starter

Last edited:
Back