• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Car wont move forward in drive/1st

bullet18

Reaction score
I rebuilt my 727 because 2nd gear was engaged all the time. After the rebuild i had all of the gears for like 3/4 of a mile and then i lost first so it doesn't move in drive. I just figured out the clip holding the kickdown rod in the arm on the trans cane off somewhere in that 3/4 of a mile so i didn't have kickdown. Could that be causing it? Im gonna take the trans apart anyway when i take the engine out to put the new top end on because my parking pawl isnt engaging but id like to figure this out before then if its that simple.

Adam

Reaction score
Swap in a valve body from another trans, even one from a 904 will work. This will let you know where the potential problem is, and you can connect the parking pawl & check the apply bands & accumulator, while you are in there..

Do not run the trans without the kick down hooked up...

hellrats

Reaction score
Without the kick down you will still have 1st gear just all of the shifts will be late. Drop the valve body and air check the drums and servos. Try manual low in first. If that works it is most likely the rear band or servo. Does reverse work?

bullet18

Reaction score
Without the kick down you will still have 1st gear just all of the shifts will be late. Drop the valve body and air check the drums and servos. Try manual low in first. If that works it is most likely the rear band or servo. Does reverse work?
Reverse works.

hellrats

Reaction score
Sounds like the problem is in the one way clutch (aka sprag) in the back of the case. If you air check it and both clutches and bands apply correctly, It could be valve body but I'd be looking a the sprag clutch.

moparleo

Reaction score
Is this your first rebuild ? Do you have a service manual ? Do you know someone local who does know a/t's ? Just some basic questions. It helps to diagnose your problem if we know where your skillset lies.

bullet18

Reaction score
Is this your first rebuild ? Do you have a service manual ? Do you know someone local who does know a/t's ? Just some basic questions. It helps to diagnose your problem if we know where your skillset lies.
This was my first rebuild. I watched an hour long video made in the 80s on how to take it apart and put it back together. I cant afford to take it to a rebuilder.

AUSTA

Reaction score
I would be driving it if the parking pawl is not engaging it could be assembled incorrectly & come on when you least expect it too
You have 1st when you are in drive unless it is adjusted incorrectly & you are actually in second.

bullet18

Reaction score
I guess it could be the shift linkage being off. Ill have to look into it when i get back after finals.

Back