• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Carburetor / Intake Manifold Choices

Dan Eichhorn

Reaction score
I am putting in a 1976 360 with a NV4500 and 489 gearing in my 53' Power Wagon Truck. 360 will be pretty much stock, maybe a mild RV cam.

What would you suggest on carb and manifold choices. I will be driving this up in the mountains and going over high passes occasionally, so I have some concern about vapor lock and fuel boiling issues when going up to high elevations. I want to make the best choice in an attempt to avoid being stuck out in the middle of no where in Alaska with a grizzle bear after my ass? The carb will be set and jetted to sea level elevation where it will be drive the majority of the time.

Dan

Truck.jpg

Last edited:

moparleo

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. Unfortunately this is a site for 70-74 Barracuda's and Challenger's. Maybe someone with a Mopar powered SUV or Power-Wagon will chime in with some thoughts. Ultimately the best option would be EFI. Systems are pretty much plug and play now and there are no adjustments after the original tune.

Adam

Reaction score
Hi Dan. I have a 48 Power Wagon with a 360 in it, and 4.89 gears. I also have a WC53 Carryall, which is my current project.

The current 360 and 727 in my Power Wagon was taken directly from an 80s Ramcharger. It has a cast iron, spreadbore intake. I used to have a Thermoquad carb on it, but it had issues. It now has a Holley spreadbore carb.... all in all it sucks, very weak. I have built another 360 with better compression, heads, cam, etc, which will have much better power... it has a Weiand intake with the exhaust crossover ports under the carb blocked. A mod like this might be something to consider if heat is a concern. (Get a squarebore manifold, better carb choices) I thought about an Edelbrock “Air gap” for the same reasons, no exhaust crossover, but I got a great deal on the Weiand and I gasket matched the ports... I am also ditching the carb altogether and going with a Fitech system..

Good luck with your project, plan on the power steering upgrade. I thought I wouldn’t need it, but after a few years of driving with the original steering box I swapped it out... no regrets there!

You will probably have to mount the radiator in the middle, or in front of, the radiator support to clear the water pump... this means the original radiator filler will not work with the cowl. I used an aftermarket radiator, which I have to open the hood to fill; and I made a fake filler tube for the radiator cap for the top of the cowl.

Btw, the 1976 360 came in two versions, 190 & 230 hp. I must have the 190..
I suggest you upgrade the engine before installing it...

Power Wagon - ImageEvent

Last edited:

Dan Eichhorn

Reaction score
Adam / DetMatt1,

Thanks for your input. Fuel Injection seems to be the concensus from you guys and three others on a Power Wagon Forum where I posted the question as well.

Thanks again.

Back