• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Center Drag Link not fitting

Joseph Adamek

Reaction score
Hello all, name is Joe and this is the first time I'm posting something so please bare with me.
I have a 1971 Challenger that was originally a 318 car, but I put a 440 in it with a bigger oil pan and the center drag link now hits the oil pan. Called a couple of places but no one had a solution. Anyone ever run into this and what did you do to fix it? Thanks, Joe.

Flchallenger

Reaction score
Took a larger hammer and hit the center link. Put a dent all the way across the pan and it quit rubbing. Then found out when I had it painted that the frame was bent, k frame was bent a little. Got a new k frame tubular type and along with straightening the frame cured it. Check your down angle on the trans. It should be down a coupe of degrees 3-5 I think. If it's more than that raise it.

fasjac

Reaction score
My 73 cuda was a 340 and now a 440 (500 stroker) I used milodon 30930 and it clears just fine. I’m using factory mounts as well. What oil pan do currently have on it.
Oh, and welcome if I haven’t said that already!

Joseph Adamek

Reaction score
My 73 cuda was a 340 and now a 440 (500 stroker) I used milodon 30930 and it clears just fine. I’m using factory mounts as well. What oil pan do currently have on it.
Thanks, not sure about the pan number. Have to look again. Pretty sure I got it from 440Source though.

Joseph Adamek

Reaction score
Thanks, not sure about the pan number. Have to look again. Pretty sure I got it from 440Source though. If I had to guess it's the motor mounts. If I could get shims for them it would be OK. Can make them...just don't feel like.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Joseph
:welcome: to FEBO from New Jersey
Good notations on your issue have been made here already. Make sure there is no damage to the frame, your motor mounts are the correct ones and the angle of the engine/trans are correct. How about the trans mount; stock or aftermarket? Are you using a stock extra capacity oil pan like the one that came on a 440-6? It would still fit. An aftermarket "racing pan" might cause a problem, especially if is not for an E-body chassis and could be causing the problem. Welcome again and good luck resolving the issue.

Joseph Adamek

Reaction score
Joseph
:welcome: to FEBO from New Jersey
Good notations on your issue have been made here already. Make sure there is no damage to the frame, your motor mounts are the correct ones and the angle of the engine/trans are correct. How about the trans mount; stock or aftermarket? Are you using a stock extra capacity oil pan like the one that came on a 440-6? It would still fit. An aftermarket "racing pan" might cause a problem, especially if is not for an E-body chassis and could be causing the problem. Welcome again and good luck resolving the issue.
Thanks, have my homework to do that's for sure!

Knock Out

Reaction score
Fasjac
Where in Arkansas are you located
Thinking of retiring to Arkansas
Very tired of Southern California
I have friends in Arkansas in the northwest part of the state.
Do you like it there?

fasjac

Reaction score
Fasjac
Where in Arkansas are you located
Thinking of retiring to Arkansas
Very tired of Southern California
I have friends in Arkansas in the northwest part of the state.
Do you like it there?

fasjac

Reaction score
I’m a few miles north of Little Rock. The northwest part of the the state is fabulous, really. A lot of folks retire to the Hot Springs area as well. Which is very nice but, the northwest corner is awesome. From central arkansas you an can drive 3 hours and be in another state. The Ozarks are nice. And yes , I love it here.

Knock Out

Reaction score
Thank you
My friends business is in Mulberry
We are planning a trip as soon as this covid Cra??? is over
Thanks again for the info

Back