• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Center Drag Link not fitting

Joseph Adamek

Reaction score
Hello all, name is Joe and this is the first time I'm posting something so please bare with me.
I have a 1971 Challenger that was originally a 318 car, but I put a 440 in it with a bigger oil pan and the center drag link now hits the oil pan. Called a couple of places but no one had a solution. Anyone ever run into this and what did you do to fix it? Thanks, Joe.

moparlee

Reaction score
Hello Joe, welcome to the site from Michigan.
What oil pan do you have on the 440? What is the condition of the motor and transmission mounts?
Posting up some pics will help us out.

Joseph Adamek

Reaction score
Moroso 7 qt. pan. All mounts are brand new. Used the Schumacher motor mounts. The center link barely touches the oil pan. If I shim the motor mount, that will bring it up a bit, but no one makes shims for this any longer. Thought maybe a new center link for this type of issue might be the way to go. If I cannot get anything, thought about putting some shims under the center link to lower it maybe a 1/4".

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Welcome form Panama !
There are no shims as the engine mounts are cross bolted , but it is a 2 piece mount & the rubber sandwich can be shimmed between the 2 parts , you would have to put in 1/4 " shim both sides . There seems to be varience in the mount thicknesses as some touch & others don't . You can shim the steering box & tip it down , the upper mount of the idler arm can be ovalled with a die grinder & tipped down a little also , this may be the best solution for you .

70chall440

Reaction score
2 comments;

1. are you sure you are putting the center link on correctly? Flip it around if you are not sure and see if it fits any better (common issue)

2. have you considered about clearancing the pan slightly, if it is just "barely" hitting you might be able to gently massage the area to provide enough clearance.

Cuda 440-6

Reaction score
I have a '74 Cuda that was originally a 360 small block engine car. I'm dropping in a rebuilt 440-6 big block engine with a Milodon 7 Quart Oil Pan. I may have a similar Center Drag Link rubbing issue and not sure if the stock Center Link will clear the bottom of the Pan. Are there new big block Center Drag Links available or would I need to source a used one?

moparleo

Reaction score
Have you guys contacted the Manufacturers Tech depts yet ?? It is the reason that they have those Depts. They will know better than anyone, since they actually make the product, what issues and fixes there will be for their products.
Milo Don Tech # 805-577-5950 7-4:30 PST M-F
Moroso Tech # 203-458-0542 8:30-5 EST M-F

Cuda 440-6

Reaction score
Thanks Moparleo, great suggestion. I'm sure manufacturer(s) have heard it all before and will offer best recommendations!

Joseph Adamek

Reaction score
I have a '74 Cuda that was originally a 360 small block engine car. I'm dropping in a rebuilt 440-6 big block engine with a Milodon 7 Quart Oil Pan. I may have a similar Center Drag Link rubbing issue and not sure if the stock Center Link will clear the bottom of the Pan. Are there new big block Center Drag Links available or would I need to source a used one?
Hi, I have a 71 Challenger that had a 318. I also put in a 440. I put the center link in backwards. Just flip it around. Now I can fit my hand in between it.

Back