• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Challenger doors question

Tirekickertoo

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a general question about 1970-74 Challenger doors. Are all the 1970-74 doors interchangeable? I've been told the 1970/71 model years are different. Is it the position of the door mirror mounts?

Thank you,

Tirekickertoo

Adam

Reaction score
The outer fuzzies on the later doors had clips in different locations, you can still use whatever, but you may have to drill some holes, or buy an early and late set...

340challconvert

Reaction score
There are other differences between the doors from different year Challengers

1970 doors are unique to themselves
- Specific to the glass; the glass has a different number of mounting holes (11 for 1970 and 9 for later cars) but still interchangeable.

- The upper stops and track bolt access holes were in different locations.
The 70 door panels used panels with a different number of panel clips.

- The door on the 70 Challenger had a single layer safety crash reinforcement bar, while later cars had a double and stronger crash brace in the doors.

Early Challengers used just oval holes to mount the whiskers, while later cars transitioned to screws. You can of course drill additional holes if needed.

- There was a window regulator change. They went from a plastic slider piece in the track to a bearing of some sort. Not sure when this transition took place but they added holes for adjustment.

I also think that the stops in the regulators themselves were in different locations (not 100% on this)

- The door handles are also different from the 70-71 cars to the later ones. The earlier handles were I think concave to follow the shape of the door while later doors used a flat door handle

- Not sure about the mounting holes for the mirrors. I believe the mounting holes were all spaced the same, but the mirror bases were a little longer on later cars.

The doors themselves are physically able to be bolted on to any year car but would require some modifications in switching over internal components.
Hardware, latches and regulators will work in all, though as mentioned above regulators and glass are not the same.

Information from my saved notes I gleaned from a number of sources over the years!

Hope this helps
Dino2 (2).gif

Last edited:

moparlee

Reaction score
There are other differences between the doors from different year Challengers

- The door handles are also different from the 70-71 cars to the later ones. The earlier handles were I think concave to follow the shape of the door while later doors used a flat door handle

The door handles are the same. The difference is between Challengers (concave/curve in) and Cudas (convex/curve out). Scratch this......

Challenger6pak stated the correct information.

Last edited:

doubleyellow

Reaction score
Form experience trying to use a 1971 door in a 1970.......try to use the exact door for your year Challenger!!

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Mirror mounting holes are the same. 70 drivers door has a lock out feature not on later doors. The door can't be locked when open. You have to use the key from the outside. The idea was you wouldn't lock the keys in the car. 70 internals are different than 71 up. You can use the complete set of 70 internals in a newer door or vice versa as long as it is a complete set. The door handles are unique in 70. 71 up used the same handles as Cuda. It takes a close inspection to tell the difference. All the handles interchange. I just went through all of this for an RT and tore down several junk doors to figure it all out. The 70 sliders seemed to hold up better over the years with use. The newer 71 up rollers were broken off in several doors.

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
6pak
Thanks for the clarification on the 70 only door handles for Challengers and use of the same handles for both Cuda/Challegers for 71 on. Was not sure on that point, but knew something was different.
Also, Did not realize the 70 only lock out feature didn't make it to the next model year. (I only owned 1 - 71 Challenger over the years; the rest were 70's)
Always something new to learn! :steering:

moparleo

Reaction score
The door handle info would apply to someone restoring to original. Mopar stopped making the handles with the Challenger contour to save money and parts duplication as the convex Barracuda handle will work on all models.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Paharamia, maybe the lock out was on some 71s. A cut off date would be interesting. You are right Moparleo. As I said it takes a close inspection to tell the difference.

Tirekickertoo

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the input. I'm always amazed reading the information shared in this forum on the changes Dodge and Plymouth made to these great cars in only four short production years.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge,

Tirekickertoo

RJH

Reaction score
70 doors are completely different from the rest. While you may be able to install a complete door with glass, hardware from one year to another. The inner shell is shaped differently along the inner top edge (where the door panel hooks on). 1970 window regulators will not work in 71-74 doors the window only goes down 3/4 of travel. You can put 71-74 window regulators into a 70 door without issues. Mirror mounting holes are not the same .70 is a one year only for many challenger parts. the 71-74 mirror mounting holes are about 1/2" further apart than 70 mirrors.

doubleyellow

Reaction score
RJH.....I am having trouble installing my 1970 Challenger Door Panel on my 1971 Door. Before cutting up either the door or the panel, any easy mod to either to make the panel fit nicely. Or no hope?

RJH

Reaction score
The 70 panel should fit the door as is. Is it the top or bottom of the panel that's giving you trouble?

doubleyellow

Reaction score
Right side door, upper left area.....I may have to trim a bit of the panel backside reinforcing ribs in that area

RJH

Reaction score
Before you trim the panel to make it fit , check on the back of the panel to see if the metal clips (Inside top of the panel if on at all) are properly on and second is the glass window properly aligned? That panel should fit

Cratos

Reaction score
Anyone know how all the stuff goes back in the doors for the windows? body shop was suppose to put it all back in but that never happened .all I have is a box of stuff marked doors. with tracks and all the new rubbers felt parts I bought for it.
it is a 70 RT

Back