• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Challenger Gas Tank Opening

BuckeyeCuda

Reaction score
My 71 Challenger had the quarters and trunk replaced before I got it, and the trunk pan does not have a hole to route the gas nozzle from the fender through the trunk, to the tank. I have the parts, but am not sure of the exact location to cut the hole through the trunk pan. I plan to crawl under the car and see if they left any of the original trunk pan that I can go by, but does anyone have the dimensions from the quarter, rear taillight panel, etc that I can approximate if I need to go that route?

This trunk pan was done many years ago, and is solid, but it's a two-piece pan with obvious seam down the middle, and is rather crude. Do modern pans come complete in one piece and better looking? I would consider pulling the current pan if necessary, as this one cannot probably be cleaned up enough to make it nice with the seam down the middle, poor welds, etc.... The car is to be a 440 or 360 driver.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Could you post a picture of your trunk floor; I would like to see how it was installed.
I installed a two piece AMD trunk floor in my Challenger. To install a one piece trunk, the tail panel needs to be removed.
It takes time, but the seam can be made to look decent; spot welding in spaced out locations, rotating up and down the seam to prevent overheating. Slow and steady gives the best result.
If your welds are that bad, they can be ground down and cleaned up. It is labor intensive though.
Cheaper panels (non AMD) do not always have all the holes drilled out; I am thinking it was a another company's trunk panels? It is not a big deal to cut the hole if you decide to repair/revamp the existing trunk.
It would be a lot of work to remove the existing replaced trunk floor, I would try to clean it up, so long as is not "frankensized"
IMO
If you need the measurements for the gas tank filler, let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_5382 (1).jpg
    IMG_5382 (1).jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_5384 (1).jpg
    IMG_5384 (1).jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 174

70chall440

Reaction score
With the tank in, get under the car and you can see basically where the hole goes. the rubber piece covers a pretty good size hole (oblong).

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Here are some pics showing the trunk floor opening and screw locations for the Challenger filler tube.

Attachments

• 1970 Challenger_Trunk floor holes.jpg
    1970 Challenger_Trunk floor holes.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 169
  • trunk floor challenger full 2.JPG
    trunk floor challenger full 2.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 164

BuckeyeCuda

Reaction score
Here are some pics showing the trunk floor opening and screw locations for the Challenger filler tube.
Cool. Thanks. I plan to tackle this as soon as the weather warms somewhat. Not a great deal of fun lying on cold concrete (although I was on gravel for many years), and cold weather compounds the discomfort...

Back