• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Challenger R/T dash badge doesn't fit

70Hardtop

Reaction score
Hi - this is not a question really, just an irritating observation. I bought a nice used Challenger R/T dash badge (I think you call them "emblem") from Ebay USA to sit into the space on the RH side of the dash pad. But it doesn't fit. The indent is too narrow. Now this dash pad is actually a dash cover (slips over the original) and it came off a 1970 Cuda so that may explain it. Either the dash cover was not made correctly or the 'Cuda badge is a slightly smaller in size to the Challenger one.

tonysrt

Reaction score
I believe 70 Cuda had it written like the Challenger in 70, in 71 they started to use the name plate. My 71 Cuda plate spells barracuda and measures 3 3/4 X 7/8. I would think Challenger would be same size as Cuda so as to have only 1 dash pad for 2 different models. More cost effective.

70chall440

Reaction score
What do you mean "Challenger RT badge"? There is no "R/T" on the inside of the car for any year (70-71). On the 70 there is "Challenger" in script on the passenger (right) side of the pad and then in 71 they went to the square name plate but as noted neither said "R/T".

Post a picture of what you have.

70Hardtop

Reaction score
I have taken some photos. On close inspection the R/T letters now looked to have been drawn in by someone, and they were beginning to wear off. A little polish and it disappeared! But I didn't know about that when I bought it so I assumed it was a factory thing. I have measured it and also compared it to the identical badge in my 73 (original crashpad) and they are both identical and measure 3-29/32" by 13/16. So that's different to what Tony got and I assume that 71-74 Challengers were different in this respect to 71-74 Cudas. The complete dash I have that was out of a 1970 Cuda 383, but the dash cover that was on it, I have no idea what it was meant for. All I know is that this badge is too large for the indent but it would accept a Barracuda badge of the size that Tony measured. So I have learnt a few things here and thanks for the input and measurements.

Ch dash Badge 4.jpg

Ch dash Badge 1.jpg

Ch dash Badge 2.jpg

Ch dash Badge 3.jpg

Last edited:

70Hardtop

Reaction score
And yes, I would also have thought that they would have used the same sized badges for both E bodies, to save on manufacturing costs on crashpads. But it seems to be just another little quirky difference that comes up between models.

tonysrt

Reaction score
When I measured I didn't use a caliper. I used a tape measure just to give you an idea of the size.

70chall440

Reaction score
Its not the badge, its the dash cap. They are pretty poor fitting when it comes to the VIN plate and the name plate, need to trim it.

Big AL

Reaction score
What do you mean "Challenger RT badge"? There is no "R/T" on the inside of the car for any year (70-71). On the 70 there is "Challenger" in script on the passenger (right) side of the pad and then in 71 they went to the square name plate but as noted neither said "R/T".

Post a picture of what you have.
Like mine.
1627590359183.png
1627590359183.png

70Hardtop

Reaction score
I'm sure the dash caps are (or were) often a bit of a hit or miss situation - but this dash cap fits very well and even a closer than normal look will pass most tests. But it's most likely the space for that particular emblem was either not made to the correct size or it is to suit a smaller emblem. I did immediately consider getting the knife out but I don't think it would be successful. Unless I cut the ends of the black tray holding the emblem right off. And I cannot cut into the cover, it's not solid. Best thing possibly is put a spacer in and glue it onto that so that it doesn't fit in neat but sits more out than normal.

70Hardtop

Reaction score
As shown above, there is no question that the 70 Chal dash was a better looking one than later years. Wonder why they didn't continue that...pity.

70Hardtop

Reaction score
When I measured I didn't use a caliper. I used a tape measure just to give you an idea of the size.
I used verniers. I don't think a tape measure would give that much difference that you got though, unless other factors came into play!

tonysrt

Reaction score
I also didn't have my glasses on so could only read the big numbers. The price of getting old, but over the dirt not under.

70Hardtop

Reaction score
I also didn't have my glasses on so could only read the big numbers. The price of getting old, but over the dirt not under.
Yes I know all about that "getting older" thing. I couldn't even be bothered looking at Barracuda /Cuda badges' sizes to see if my dash cap is to suit one. I'll just go with Plan B and glue a spacer in so it sits off the dash a bit. As I said, I could trim off the black tray bit from the badge itself, but it might end up looking like a butcher job. At least with some contact glue, it can easily be pulled off with no harm done (or fall off on a 45 degree (113F) Australian day

Back