• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

challenger steering coupler

napaguy

Reaction score
anybody used a bryke universal joint to replace stock steering coupler on a 72 challenger? I have one but can't get it to go on the gear box splines.

Adam

Reaction score
5/8 & 36 spline? I cant remember but I would check to see if there is one big/double width spline on the input shaft. Can you look inside the old one?

napaguy

Reaction score
5/8 & 36 spline? I cant remember but I would check to see if there is one big/double width spline on the input shaft. Can you look inside the old one?
that's what it is. the u joint doesn't have the flat section. do I need to flatten out the u joint to get it to go on?

Adam

Reaction score
Last edited:

napaguy

Reaction score
Well that is one way, but how will you determine the correct orientation, i.e. which spline to remove, and how will you cleanly remove the offending spline.. if your old coupler is still around I would recommend rebuilding it with the following products: $42 total !

Steering Coupler Rebuild Kit
Steering Coupler Cover Retaining Clamp

Rebuilding a 1964 Plymouth Steering Coupler

Why are you using the aftermarket u-joint?
with ujoint one end is splined the other smooth with set screws. lot easier to orient.

Back