• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Charging issue, any ideas?

jackn440

Reaction score
Hey guys, been a while since i've been on the site (computer broke this time, instead of the car). A few months back i put a 413 in my 70 challenger...how many e bodies have you seen with those? Runs really good, but i've been having some charging issues. Before you ask, i've replaced the alternator, regulator, and battery twice. As long as the engine is spinning at 1000 rpm or faster, the amp gauge shows it's charging, but if i'm sitting at idle, it reads right about in the middle. If i've got the brake lights on, headlights, etc., the gauge reads almost all the way in the negative. I just got done doing a couple of little tests. I hooked a volt gauge to the battery wire on the alternator and grounded it, i could only get the gauge to top out at about 14 volts. A friend of mine told me the alternator itself should be putting out around 19 volts. Anyway, if anyone's got any ideas, throw em out there. Thanks.

burntorange70

Reaction score
Thats a strange one. I would start buy checking for loose or corroded wires. Also look hard at the bulkhead connector for the same. They are known to be a bad spot on our cars. All the power comes in the firewall plug through your amp gauge and back through the firewall.

Sorry I cant be of more help but thats a place to start. Good luck.

ramenth

Reaction score
Thats a strange one. I would start buy checking for loose or corroded wires. Also look hard at the bulkhead connector for the same. They are known to be a bad spot on our cars. All the power comes in the firewall plug through your amp gauge and back through the firewall.

Sorry I cant be of more help but thats a place to start. Good luck.

And I think you nailed it: the amp gauge.

Tunis

Reaction score
Have you fixed it?

A friend of mine told me the alternator itself should be putting out around 19 volts.

The alternator can output 19 volts if something goes terribly wrong! 14 volts is perfect! Anything above 15 is dangerous!
What is your voltage at the battery, when it is 14 at the alternator battery wire? There should be no more than 0.1-0.3 volts less at the battery if everything in the circuit is fresh.

Per

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
your car is typical of older Mopars , they all seemto discharge at idle with lights on etc , you could try a smaller pulley on the Alt to spin it faster or convert to a newer denso alt system .
the alt should put out 14.2 v regulated , the alt can put out 18+v unregulated but will boil the battery & kill it in short order

Back