• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Checking temp

PlmCzy70

Reaction score
where is the best place or which places is best to check temp on my 340 using an IR temp gun.

themechanic

Reaction score
I check radiator inlet and outlet hoses and compare the difference. Also, the thermostat housing and the temp sensor location on the engine.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I agree , near the thermostat & top hose , also the bottom hose to make sure the rad is working properly

themechanic

Reaction score
I used a meat thermometer in the radiator once to diagnose a problem. The temperature was normal but the temperature gauge reading was higher than normal. It turned out the probe wasn't long enough on the new temp sensor from Dakota Digital and not enough of it was exposed to the coolant flow. I contacted DD who sent me a longer temp sensor and problem solved.

I was working on my 69 El Camino at the time.

PlmCzy70

Reaction score
where is the best place or which places is best to check temp on my 340 using an IR temp gun.
Thanks for responding. I checked Temps on up rad hose around 166
Lower around 157
Thermostat housing around sending unit around187. Engine gives no indication of being hot but the Guage is at half way . It's is a 52 year old original Guage. Thanks again for the great info and as usual, what are your thoughts on this.

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just remember the IR temp gun measures surface temp and not internal temp or coolant temp. It will be close though.

Back