• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Chinese made hydraulic roller lifters (again?)

DTCMMLF

Reaction score
Greetings one and all!
Ordered a set of roller lifters to fit my Lunati Voodoo roller cam fior a fresh build on a 340. Unknown to me, they were Chinese made.

For an additional $40.00 I could have had genuine MOPAR lifters (again, unknown at the time I ordered the Chinese made lifters).

If you send me a message with your email address, I will name the vender as I don't want to publicly state their product as being faulty and charged with slander!

Have attached pictures to explain the issue I ran into and my fix.

Pic1. The area marked with the black magic marker on the strap that holds the lifters together rubs against the raised area in the block over each cylinder. I took a carbide bit and air driven hand held grinder and removed approximately 30 to 40 thousandths of material from this hump in the block casting for each cylinder, gently rounding the edges. The lifters now slide in. Since the lifter will never be pushed that far out of the Lifter guide holes, the straps will not impede or bind. (See attached fotoz Pic2 and Pic3 for further explanation).

I guess the question now is, the quality of the materials that the lifters are made from.
Pic1.JPG
Pic2.JPG
Pic3.JPG
Pic2.JPG

Not saying anyone wants to buy Chinese made anything, but if you did or have..... Hope this helps some folks out there.

Will follow up with a report after the motor has a few miles on it.

Cheers!

Steve340

Reaction score
From what I read no matter who you purchased/manufactured roller lifters from you would need to clearance the non-roller block.

AUSTA

Reaction score
Some of the best roller lifters will catch at that point & need a bit of grinding
I notice your block has minimal chamfer on the lifter bore ,some of the block,s are quite deep allowing the lifter to drop down further before going into the bore eliminating the need to grind the block but also allow more oil pressure bleed off when at maximum lift causing low oil pressure & need to be modified..

DTCMMLF

Reaction score
Read where two companies are producing the rollers that will clear. One charges $450 plus for their rollers.
Also noting the comment about the shallow chamfering for the lifters guides. That block was poured in June of 71.
A second block that I have that was also poured in June of 71, has very shallow chamfering as well. Luck of the draw.
This engine will not see racing duty. It is destined for the wife's Challenger. 73 model, auto, with air and an eletronic overdrive unit. Her racing involves getting to Wall World before the sale ends! Thanks for the comments. Always enjoy all my options and many come from this forum.

Back