• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Chrome trim lower valance

djais1801

Reaction score
Yes - a little pricey but at least they are available. NOS and good used are really tough to find anymore and are also expensive when they do pop up.

1970 Dodge Challenger Parts | ME1653 | 1970 Dodge Challenger Front Valance Lower Molding ; Pair | Classic Industries
lower valence trim.jpg

The previous owner gave me these...they're beat up a bit...i'll price out what they'll cost to be fixed/rechromed.

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
View attachment 66070

The previous owner gave me these...they're beat up a bit...i'll price out what they'll cost to be fixed/rechromed.

Nice - I bet they'll clean up pretty well with some NevRDull or Mothers polish or something like that. Also the valance moldings definitely aren't chrome but rather anodized aluminum I believe, just like the headlight bezels, grille, and hood moldings so if you do send them out find a shop that does brite-dip anodizing. If there are any pits they'll probably still show after being refinished though, I don't think they can easily be filled in since they're aluminum but I may be wrong. I'd probably just clean them up as best as I could and run them as-is.

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
Yeah, that is ridiculous.
Glad mine was still good. The SE trim came as an option on my 71 340 car along with the other moulding just above it.
View attachment 66071

Moparlee, I don't want to rain on your parade but it looks like you have a 72-74 valance molding setup on your car?

1972.JPG

1971-Dodge-Challenger-front.jpg

Last edited:

Tirekickertoo

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a few questions: #1) Are all 1970-74 Challenger front valances made the same? I believe AMD currently sells one part number for all 1970-74 model years. #2) I'm also not positive but I believe 1972-74 valances have different mounting tabs to mount the valance trim pieces? To me it appears the mounting tabs are bent along the curvature on the front of the valance to accept and mount the valance trim pieces. #3) The valance trim piece, was it made only for 1972-74 models? Was it an option for the 1970-71 Challengers?

Thank you,

Tirekickertoo

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
Not sure on the tabs for the valance but I think they're all the same though. The moldings themselves are definitely different for 1970-71 vs 1972-74. They were standard on SE models in 1970, and optional for other models in 70-71 but came standard on all 72-74s. Easiest way to tell them apart is 70-71 valance moldings are two-piece like djais above, and the 72-74 are one-piece. Here are pictures of an orange 71 Challenger with the correct valance molding, and another 71 with a 72-74 molding installed. You can also see the 72-74 molding is thicker than the 70-71.

1971.jpg

1971 with 1972 molding.jpg

Tirekickertoo

Reaction score
Hi EV2RTSE,
Thank you for the detailed reply to my questions. It looks like I have 1973-74 valance trim on my 71. Still looks good to me! I am amazed in all the little changes Mopar made in the four short years of years production. A bit confusing at times. I'm glad to be a member of this forum.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,

Tirekickertoo

Cardius82

Reaction score
So this is an old thread and I'm not a forum expert but thought I'd ask, what's the proper hardware to fasten the lower valance trim on a 72-74? I only have 2 left of the d clips and bolts but the top corners on each side appear to use a push tab or smaller bolt and retainer. Any easy off the shelf replacements in a kit, etc.?

Back