• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Classic Industries Fenders?

Old B5

Reaction score
Has anyone used body panels from classic industries that are not the Restorers Choice (AMD)? If you have any knowledge about the quality of them, please share. Fit and finish? Thinking about buying some fenders from them. I bought rear quarters from AMD and was a little disappointed, so I thought why pay extra for the fenders if they are not any better. AMD is made in Taiwan also.

Last edited:

aussiemark

Reaction score
What year and car do you have and what was the problem with the AMD rear quarters? I fitted a LH one to a 1970 Barracuda and was happy with the fit no issues at all.

quapman

Reaction score
Once you decide what brand you want, buy from somewhere other than Classic or Year One. Unless you can get a 25-30% discount, those parts can be had elsewhere for less.

Old B5

Reaction score
1970 Challenger. The issue I had with the drivers side quarter i got was on the body line. It looked like there was a problem during the stamping process and they tried to work it out. Needs more body work than i would have liked. 35% discount is only reason I am considering buying form them. Wish I would have just ordered them with the quarters to save on shipping. I realized by the time I get the fenders the way I would like them i would be better off just buying new.

aussiemark

Reaction score
I have heard that the stamping dies have to be kept super clean if some dirt or something gets on it can mess up the panels. I seen a show called mega factories and they had the new Dodge Challenger factory on an episode and the press that stamps the panels is in a fully clean, filtered room with no people in there just the robot and a guy cleans and checks the stamping die every so often.

Adam

Reaction score
I like AMD. I believe any money you save on lesser quality parts will be spent making the parts fit. Although, no after-market panel are perfect.

On 1/4s look at the door jamb area, it should be a nice sharp corner, not rounded. Also they
Challenger gas hole stamping should be a sharp cornered hole, not a 45, like some I have seen.

On a fender look at the hood bumper adjustment area; AMD has the correct reinforcement, Goodmark did not when I bought mine a few years ago.

With any sheet metal you should inspect it CAREFULLY before you accept it.

Challenger

budascuda

Reaction score
I actually like to know how much the factory in
chi-wan is getting paid to stamp a fender, it would be a good indicator as to how much care they are gonna put into it.
They should just make the dam things here ...

aussiemark

Reaction score
While I agree, you can't compete with Chinese labour even the most skilled high paid worker in China (or Taiwan still PRC) will work hard for a lot less then the cheapest worker in the US or Australia or Canada or just about anywhere else and when you think about it how much do you think a US worker on minimum wage is going to care about the quality of your new fender? your probably better off with the guy in Taiwan and he's not to blame anyway it is the middle man getting them made for peanuts then marking them up 1000% and laughing all the way to the bank while you struggle to fit your fender.

quapman

Reaction score
Yes, it would be nice to be able to inspect before signing upon delivery. The last time I got sheetmetal, the trucker flat out refused to let me look.

aussiemark

Reaction score
Yes, it would be nice to be able to inspect before signing upon delivery. The last time I got sheetmetal, the trucker flat out refused to let me look.
If the driver won't let me inspect the package I would refuse to sign for it because the place where it comes from will refuse to accept liability for any damage caused by the freight company and by signing for the delivery you are accepting the goods in what ever condition they are in and letting some bozo off the hook for damaging your parts.

budascuda

Reaction score
While I agree, you can't compete with Chinese labour even the most skilled high paid worker in China (or Taiwan still PRC) will work hard for a lot less then the cheapest worker in the US or Australia or Canada or just about anywhere else and when you think about it how much do you think a US worker on minimum wage is going to care about the quality of your new fender? your probably better off with the guy in Taiwan and he's not to blame anyway it is the middle man getting them made for peanuts then marking them up 1000% and laughing all the way to the bank while you struggle to fit your fender.

I can't put down the average American, nor do I want to, the average American Built the cars in the 70s (and many years before that) in the first place! It can be done again and if it's gonna cost $1250 or more, well you just bought yoself an nos quality fender.
Not only that, the money stays in THE COUNTRY, that's the main thing to me any way.
You say roc , I SAY USA
God bless America.

tommie69

Reaction score
I cant comment on the sheet metal for challengers from classic. Wish I could help you with that. But I do want to comment on their 35% off.. Be careful with that. What they say is up to 35% off. So when you put the "discount" code in, you may only get 10% off? I find jegs is the way to go. They have good prices on parts and shipping .just my opinion.. good luck hope someone can help with your question

aussiemark

Reaction score
I can't put down the average American, nor do I want to, the average American Built the cars in the 70s (and many years before that) in the first place! It can be done again and if it's gonna cost $1250 or more, well you just bought yoself an nos quality fender.
Not only that, the money stays in THE COUNTRY, that's the main thing to me any way.
You say roc , I SAY USA
God bless America.
I'm not putting anyone down just saying labour is cheaper in Taiwan or wherever but the owner's of AMD should have kept it all in the USA instead of getting it made offshore even if it did cost more for that fender I would gladly pay more for it especially if it was better quality. It all comes down to greed what ever makes the most profit instead of employing local people and having pride in what you are doing. Maybe they should have 2 versions the higher quality more expensive US made one and the cheaper one that way if the panel is for a concourse restoration get the best one if it is for a daily driver get the cheap one.

budascuda

Reaction score
I'm not putting anyone down just saying labour is cheaper in Taiwan or wherever but the owner's of AMD should have kept it all in the USA instead of getting it made offshore even if it did cost more for that fender I would gladly pay more for it especially if it was better quality. It all comes down to greed what ever makes the most profit instead of employing local people and having pride in what you are doing. Maybe they should have 2 versions the higher quality more expensive US made one and the cheaper one that way if the panel is for a concourse restoration get the best one if it is for a daily driver get the cheap one.

... A Man after my own heart!

aussiemark

Reaction score
I thought the AMD panels were made in the US until I saw Taiwan on the boxes, it was disappointing because of the amount of sheet metal I need to replace I will flip the car when I have finished because I want an American muscle car not one that is 75% Taiwanese maybe if it was only a few panels I could live with that. My Challenger has all it's original panels and it just has a different vibe then the Barracuda with it's AMD metal.

budascuda

Reaction score
I thought the AMD panels were made in the US until I saw Taiwan on the boxes, it was disappointing because of the amount of sheet metal I need to replace I will flip the car when I have finished because I want an American muscle car not one that is 75% Taiwanese maybe if it was only a few panels I could live with that. My Challenger has all it's original panels and it just has a different vibe then the Barracuda with it's AMD metal.

That's exactly the thing aussiemark and when I complained about it on this forum early on when I joined FEBO, someone said that what I was saying was just a rant!!!?
I'm with you mate.

budascuda

Reaction score
Oh, by the way, since there are younger people in the membership and may not fully know about the ways of the world; usually, the not so perfect stamping jobs, end up in the discount bins.
Nobody sells anything for 1/3 less unless there is something wrong with it.
Pay full price , then you can demand service and a quality product.

For the same reason I don't buy heavily discounted food. Lol

quapman

Reaction score
@Adam I sent you a PM not related to this thread. Don't want to hijack the OP.

Back