• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Cleaning White Letter Tires

DJ1967Dart

Reaction score
Hello fellow enthusiasts - my tires hardly have any miles on them (BF Goodrich Radial TA) but the white lettering has seen better days. Any tips on how to bring back the white lettering to legibility? Stay safe out there.
IMG_2566.jpg

Jax_1975_Dart

Reaction score
I’ve never tried this myself but, have heard of people using White paint markers and carefully taking the time to only mark the letters and portions that need to be restored back White.

DJ1967Dart

Reaction score
Looks great! Thanks for the info gonna purchase and give it a shot. Thanks!

340sport

Reaction score
Agreed. Westley's bleach white or Castrol Super Clean (purple power) works really well if you are trying to clean the letters (or any tire). A white paint pen works well if you are trying to freshen the paint or if they need a touch up.

hofilbert

Reaction score
This is something someone at a tire factory may actually know more specifically, but I had always heard natural rubber used in tires is really white (we probably all know that), and to get them black the tire makers used, or possibly still use, charcoal as a black pigment color additive. We've all have seen some RWL tires that get brown or browner than others. My tire guy years ago, told me if I want to keep my white letter tires white (winter storage tires/wheels) to take a piece of large cardboard and place between each tire before I stack them. The white rubber absorbs the black pigment from the other black tires when sitting for long periods. This is why the blue stuff we have washed off our white-walls and white letter tires is there. Likewise, the white letters will start to absorb the black around the letter too. I had one tire out of 4 that was browner than the others - I just couldn't get it white. As a last resort, I took a metal file and filed down each white letter to bring them back to white again. It worked. Yes, I also use Westley's and a hand brush each year on my BFGs then spray with a top-coat of tire shine. The key to good tire shine pre-show is to spray it on the night before, heavy, and then DON'T touch it. Leave it alone and then when you come out the next day, the tire shine is either absorbed or evaporated leaving a nice semi-flat black and your wheels and tires are gorgeous...and it pretty much stays that way the rest of the year depending on how much you drive your car.
PNP-SNICE.jpg

Last edited:

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Depending on the size and age of TA's you have, Goodyear had issues a few years back with white letters turning brown. It was a defect in the tire and there is no permanent fix. Acetone and a soft bristled brass brush works best. I clean my 255-60/15's every time I get the car out. The front ones (different size) haven't been cleaned for a year and then I only used Wesleys on those.

786005-72528459ab08eeecda52e418ba754250.jpg

Last edited:

/sixchall

Reaction score
SOS pads for me and then follow up with some 303 cleaner and rubber protectant. I put these tires on in 1998 white lettering still looks good. No cracked side walls either. When was the last time you saw Kelly Chargers?

757E5575-5810-4BAD-AB1D-BAF8215B62B2.jpeg

fasjac

Reaction score
SOS pads for me and then follow up with some 303 cleaner and rubber protectant. I put these tires on in 1998 white lettering still looks good. No cracked side walls either. When was the last time you saw Kelly Chargers?

View attachment 74930
Just now! I used see them often many years back. Didn’t Arnold Palmer do some commercial stuff for them?

Miguel Duncan

Reaction score

View attachment 74930
Are you really riding around on 22 year old tires??!! Tire manufacturers recommend replacing after 7-9 years, regardless of mileage. I suppose spending a lot of time garaged helps extend the rubber life, but I remember opening my trunk once to find the used 14 year old spare tire completely separated apart with no sun exposure. Also remember reading about this in Mopar Action [or Mopar Muscle] magazine about not using tires too long even with low mileage - - Ozone and UV take their toll on rubber compounds, possibly leading to a blow out. Good Luck!

Back