• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

coil blaster cap getting hot car shuts down help?

t/awesley

Reaction score
as you can see the coil in the photo was mounted close to the headers on its side. the car would drive maybe 30 minutes then shut down until the coil cooled off. I purchased an edelbrock coil moved it to the fire wall mounted it in the correct straight up position now the car runs 10 minutes and its (coil) smoking hot. on another issue mounting it to the fire wall I had to rig up a coil wire that was 5 foot long any one know where I can purchase one already made? I came across this searching the internet. The MSD Blaster Coil has an internal resistor, so the white ballast resistor mounted on the firewall is not necessary. I don't think it's good for your coil to have 2 resistors in your circuit line. ( mine is using the one on the fire wall .dont know if edelbrock blaster HAS ONE OR NOT) thank you

IMG-2312.png

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Did you check the voltage to the coil? Check coil voltage with wire removed. Check when coil hooked up running and not running.

t/awesley

Reaction score
Just purchased one of these, will check wiring in the next few days.

Attachments

• coil.jpg
    coil.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 116

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Just purchased one of these, will check wiring in the next few days.
Ok. What I was getting at. It could be anything heating up,not allowing the proper voltage. Anything from the battery to the coil connection. any point that feed power to the coil might not be the coil. battery terminals,bad ground, fuseable link ,bulkhead connectors,ing sw.

Last edited:

craigbred

Reaction score
I had one of those MSD Blaster SS coils that failed (with a 6425 6AL box). It was less than 2 years old. On a long ride, about 3 1/2 hrs., the car stumbled, stumbled, then stopped. It re-started, then 5 min later did the same, but would not restart. I checked spark, it had spark. The coil felt hot, but it was a hot day, and typical very hot under the hood. Tried my spare 6AL, would not start. Got a roll back. Next day, Still would not start. After changing the pickup in the dist., and checking fuel, plugs, timing, it still had spark but would not start. Finally I tried my spare coil - IT STARTED!!! So I guess even though the coil had spark, it was not enough. After talking with MSD, they said the Blaster2 is the recommended coil. It would be nice it their web site said the same. BTW, my coil is mounted in the right front inner fender area near the horns - I thought that would be a "cool" area under the hood. I've had my coil mounted there for over 30 years, and this is the 1st coil failure I had. My MSD box is located on the floor, pass. side under the heater, to try and keep it cool.

I wish I would have chose a different company than MSD. I currently carry a spare 6AL box (one of them failed for me about 3 years ago), coil, and dist. pickup. Thanks MSD...

t/awesley

Reaction score
Ok. What I was getting at. It could be anything heating up,not allowing the proper voltage. Anything from the battery to the coil connection. any point that feed power to the coil might not be the coil. battery terminals,bad ground, fuseable link ,bulkhead connectors,ing sw.
the way I know its the coil is because I put a bag of ice on it and it cranked as sson as it got cool enough to touch.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
There is something to be said for Chrysler ignition,with the exception of the ballast resistor carry a spare.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Hi performance ignition is a different critter. It does give you better spark at a price.Price time problems? Not meeting it's designed capacity does cause a problem. Having the the proper voltage and current. What came to mind there are some MSD product that are for race only and will not function for long periods of time. Not having a the info of you set up.What Msd wiring recommends. Going back to what I first posted.the power feed and ground given consideration and eliminated by checking.If there ls not enough power it will over heat. it is struggling to work and burns up (bad connections). to much power it will burn up (to much power alt going bad?). consider an electric motor under the same conditions. As you know the coil won't spark until the power is turned off .the field collapses and then there is spark. Maybe look at the trigger. Might be Chinese made coils? Check coil resistance cold and hot both sides. MSD coil resistor in coil was there a jumper wire to bypass the resistor? I think some had it?

t/awesley

Reaction score
So got the car back today . the problem was the ignition switch on the column was broke, it would start the car but not turn it off. the previous owner fixed this by running a toggle switch . you turn the switch on crank the car then you have to flip the toggle switch off if you want the car to turn off. while running this somehow ended up with 4 wires on the coil. thanks for the help guys.

moparleo

Reaction score
That was the point someone was trying to make. Don't automatically blame the coil. Do a proper diagnosis, not just hang new parts.
The previous owner sure "fixed the problem" . Mickey Mouse and potential fire starter.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Good to hear you got it fixed! Thanks for sharing. more than likely will help others.Think simple not Russian.to judgement.

Back