• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

coil over conversion

gaddy 69

Reaction score
any one have any input ,,i have 440 with headers torsion bar rubbing ,,im looking in to coil overs((,what shocks and coil spring rate i need)) i'm a machinist ,and fabricator by trade so i'll be building my on mounts

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
SO really why , the body structure is not designed to handle coil overs , most conversions use rack & pinion steering which can hurt turning radius & properly designed header would be cheaper .

70chall440

Reaction score
Go to any Mopar forum and you will find this topic. First off, coil over suspension (COS) is not a good answer for header clearance issues, new headers (read better) are. In essence you are spending $4-$6K to solve a $1000 problem.

Now, there are many people who are using a COS but what exactly are they gaining? As stated, Mopars were never designed for the front end to take the weight of the car and the forces developed through cornering and driving. This doesn't mean that it can't be done as obviously it can but as the saying goes "there is no free lunch".

Now if you want a COS "just because" then go ahead but do not expect it to be "all that". But hey its your car and by all means do what you want.

70chall440

Reaction score
I agree that Hemi Denny (HDK) is the subject matter expert on the subject, awesome guy and a die hard Mopar guy.

mmissile

Reaction score
We'll be hanging-out, all weekend. This is our yearly congregation...
I think Denny gets a little flustered because I haven't bought any product. It's awesome stuff, but my cars are class-cars, and require stock suspension.

Sour

Reaction score
SO really why , the body structure is not designed to handle coil overs , most conversions use rack & pinion steering which can hurt turning radius & properly designed header would be cheaper .
Is there any documented cases of an alterktion kit causing damage to a car? What downsides other than turning radius enlargement? How much bigger is the radius?

70chall440

Reaction score
I think that if it is installed correctly the Alterktion and similar units work as advertised. I don't think we are bad mouthing them, rather we are asking "why" you want to go this route. You originally cited header clearance as the reason but it seems that you just want the set up which is completely fine.

The point here is that many people want to think that these conversion are vastly better than the stock style stuff and that just isn't the case. Sure you will get some additional clearance and it will look cool (depending on your POV), but they are not the be all end all in front suspension. Not saying they are bad or dangerous, just that they are not miraculous.

Maybe take a look at this system

Sour

Reaction score
I think that if it is installed correctly the Alterktion and similar units work as advertised. I don't think we are bad mouthing them, rather we are asking "why" you want to go this route. You originally cited header clearance as the reason but it seems that you just want the set up which is completely fine.

The point here is that many people want to think that these conversion are vastly better than the stock style stuff and that just isn't the case. Sure you will get some additional clearance and it will look cool (depending on your POV), but they are not the be all end all in front suspension. Not saying they are bad or dangerous, just that they are not miraculous.

Maybe take a look at this system

That’s a fascinating looking kit. It makes the turning radius SMALLER? I’m definitely going to look into this. I haven’t found any examples of anyone installing it into their car. Weird.

70chall440

Reaction score
Definitely not cheap but I think it is really new which is why you can't find anyone who has installed it. I think they have only done 1 Cuda and are hinting at doing a B body as well.

Sour

Reaction score
Definitely not cheap but I think it is really new which is why you can't find anyone who has installed it. I think they have only done 1 Cuda and are hinting at doing a B body as well.
It isn’t THAT much more than an alterktion. If you’re chasing that level of performance in a classic it seems to me you’re okay with setting money on fire anyways.

mmissile

Reaction score
Big tires hit stuff, before the "possible" radius is achieved. I have a pretty tight radius on my front-end build. The tires hit the frame-rails.

Sour

Reaction score
Big tires hit stuff, before the "possible" radius is achieved. I have a pretty tight radius on my front-end build. The tires hit the frame-rails.
That speed tech stuff moves the front frame rails in way far to fit 325’s all around

mmissile

Reaction score
I'd put a full frame under a car, if I had to do that in the front, and a pro-touring setup in the rear. It would appear that it's a Camaro kit with new attaching stuff.

Back