• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Coil shocks?

valkman

Reaction score
I have a blown rear shock on my Challenger, and have a set of Monroe 58577 shocks lying around. I know these are for a C-body but I wondering if anyone has used them and to what effect?

Adam

Reaction score
The rear shock mount is surprisingly thin, it is not supposed to support the weight of the car. My Challenger had air shocks on it which cracked the shock mount in several places, on both sides. My advice, don’t do it... if you crack this mount you would likely have to remove the trunk floor pan to fix it properly.

4961F7CF-BFBE-49A1-AF71-6F7ECF7E522C.jpeg

C8BDF86D-282E-4A7F-958E-0867BF841E16.jpeg

Max Wedge

Reaction score
The rear shock mount is surprisingly thin, it is not supposed to support the weight of the car. My Challenger had air shocks on it which cracked the shock mount in several places, on both sides. My advice, don’t do it... if you crack this mount you would likely have to remove the trunk floor pan to fix it properly.

View attachment 82338

View attachment 82339
Agree. Mine had em too. First thing I threw in the trash. Standard shocks on rock auto are cheap if you need to get by.

moparleo

Reaction score
Shock absorbers are not intended to support any weight, their function is to dampen the springs compression and rebound cycle maintaining the tire's contact with the road.
The springs support the car. If the car is uneven or below standard ride height, the proper solution is spring replacement. A band-aid would be a helper spring. Attached to the spring itself, not the shock absorber.

70chall440

Reaction score
The shock mounts on my Cuda and on my 70 RR were/are trashed due to someone using air or over length shocks and Adam is right on point, to fix them right you need to remove the trunk floor or cut a big chunk out of it.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The other info you need is that coilover shocks used with leaf springs cause an oscillation causing the tires to cycle from hooking up to unloading then hooking up again & unloading .
You could replace the shock crossmember with a 2" round tube gusseted in place but you may just damage the frame rails if you want to use the shocks for weight loading .

valkman

Reaction score
Thanks for your input gus, I wasn't considering it to raise the car (although I'm sure it may indeed do so), but to improve handling.

moparleo

Reaction score
Improved handling would be a combination of good springs, shocks, a sway bar and most importantly the tires. For economy I would go step by step and get the best quality items I could afford. You only want to do it once. The item that has the biggest effect are the tires.

Back