• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Coming apart but worth it!

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
Well I was gonna try to get the 71 r/t 4 speed 340 running but it had an intake leak and there was a lot of surface rust in there so I had to pull it. It's almost finished as far as the machine work goes but 1 cyl was .007 out so now its .040 over with the speed pro pistons and scat rods. I went with mainly stock rebuild on the 2.02 j heads. 3 angle valve job and some teflon seals. I got the lunati 703 cam, lifters and spring pkg, a ld340 intake, 750 dbl pump brawler and comp rollers 1.5's. The gears were 3.23 and adding the centerforce dual friction clutch pkg. The firewall is still tx9 black velvet and the whole bay is nice other than a little pitting under the battery tray. I have to finish the rest but started on the worst side. I am gonna shoot it in the original black velvet so thats done for the motor install. Still gotta drop the tank yet and a power wash and fresh undercoat should be all it needs under there. I'll update as I progress. Can't wait to drive this 1.

20200305_203926.jpg

20200307_175240.jpg

20200305_201127.jpg

20200301_160302.jpg

20200210_205516.jpg

20200305_185609.jpg

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
stickers were manufactured in hell and not made to remove ever. Wire wheel, grinder, da sander, razor blade, scraper, y name it.. . I used to like them on the exterior, rockers, etc. These are made especially to irritate 30 years later.

moparlee

Reaction score
stickers were manufactured in hell and not made to remove ever. Wire wheel, grinder, da sander, razor blade, scraper, y name it.. . I used to like them on the exterior, rockers, etc. These are made especially to irritate 30 years later.
I have good luck with acetone and a razor blade.

Reaction score
Use a Heat gun on stickers!

Razor blades work great on flat smooth surfaces, but not contours of engine compartment.

Use some masking tape and paper, your steering box doesn’t need overspray. Just more BS to clean up later.

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
Use a Heat gun on stickers!

Razor blades work great on flat smooth surfaces, but not contours of engine compartment.

Use some masking tape and paper, your steering box doesn’t need overspray. Just more BS to clean up later.
Those must have got cooked into the paint. Unbelievable to get off and I definitely should have taped that off. Its all grease down there. Im gonna psi wash with some degreaser and kinda jumped the gun with the etcher. Too many Molson's caused that. Lol. Nobody wants to paint resto jobs around here anymore so Im stuck with the job and I hate sanding and bodywork. Just finished a barracuda and that was a mess but turned out nice. Now right on this 1. Just trying to push to fast and cant be doing that. The prep is everything. Painting is the easy part. Thanks!

Reaction score
Sounds good. It will be nice when it’s all fresh and new engine.

Try covering the primer with plastic before you pressure wash it, you don’t need grease on the primer.

To all those reading, get the grease off first before any sanding or bondo/primer application.

Molsons help at every step!

moparlee

Reaction score
Just trying to push to fast and cant be doing that. The prep is everything. Painting is the easy part. Thanks!
Yep, I hate doing re-work. Take your time and do it right the first time. You'll same time and money in the long run.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
I hate stickers or advertising any brands names any where on my cars. I go above and beyond to special order without name or logo's, grind or machine off or weld to fill in machined logo and then remachine flat, but in the garage the stickers get used up on the tool boxes, cabinets, fridge, etc. Lol.

20161104_213833.jpg

20161104_213725.jpg

20161104_213905.jpg

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
Now that's a sticker pro!. I have that habit too but seem to just keep em in the box. You got quite a lot more. Incredible! Makes me inferior, and if that was my firewall, i'd pass on it. Lol. Very nice display for them.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
Still have hundreds more in boxes. I always give them away to my kids, their friends and all the neighborhood kids. Got to get the next Gen interested somehow.

Back