• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Compare Holley, Fitech, and MSD Atomic EFIs

David B

Reaction score
I am converting my carb to EFI. Has anyone compared Holley Sniper, FiTech Easy Street, and MSD Atomic? ie ease of instillation, tech support, noise, programing, operating problems, and any other plus or minus. I am running a 340 stroker with less than 500 hp.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
This is personal opinion more than hands on experience but I have always had problems with MSD , $300 tow bill because the dist failed etc so that would be my last choice !
I have also had problems 20 years ago with Holleys first attempts at EFI But many friends are using Holley now with no issues & it is the only system authorized by NHRA so I believe they are Good now .
Fitech has a good reputation as well .
So I would use either of the last 2 .

DrEamer

Reaction score
I have looked at all three systems, and can share my general research, but have no first hand experience with them . The MSD is the oldest, and simplest of the three mentioned. It actually reviews quite well, but has limited features. The FiTech had some early issues with a lot of them being the Fuel Command Center. My understanding is that there is a newer version of the center, but have yet to hear if it is better. Then there is the Holley, which I have researched the most, so I may be a little biased here. The selling point for me is that Holley has a complete plug and play system. They have fuel tank, pumps, distributors, coils, that mostly snaps together.

Since you asked about support, I will say that part of that is also where you buy it from. Holley has their own tech line, but a couple of their vendors have their own techs available. The place I am most likely buy from is EFI System Pros. I have had Chris answer any questions, and even make a few helpful suggestions.

AUSTA

Reaction score
I wouldnt use a Fitech again have 2 when i was removing engine caught the injection harness & ripped a couple of wires out called support to ask for a drawing to see where the wires pulled out & they said it was impossible the wires pulled out & they don't supply any drawings of where the wires fit into the plug so its Holley Sniper for me the whole setup would need to be sent from Australia to the US to have the 2 wires refitted.
Also the 6 pak from fitech come with the 4 barrel firmware in the programmer lucky i had a fire extinguisher on hand.
My mate had his sniper fail after 6 months the replaced it free of charge.
I explained We crimp 4,000 molex plugs & looms a week so were are more than capable no go still no diagram

70chall440

Reaction score
I have experience with all 3 systems to one degree or another. I assisted in installing a MSD system some years ago, currently have a FAST EZ system (harness and controller with a F&B 6 pack), a Holley HP system (harness, controller and hall effect distributor with a F&B BB 6 pack), a Fitech Go Street 400 on a 56 Desoto Hemi in my 52 B3B pickup, and am currently installing a Fitech "Tripower" in a 69 Plymouth wagon for a guy.

I have talked to both Holley and Fitech directly (at shows) and through their customer service lines. I will say that in my experience, they were pretty similar. Talking to Fitech feels more like calling a small shop where you kind of need to talk to the one or two right guys to get the information you want (depending on what it is you want), however once you got the right guy you are good. Subsequently talking to Holley seemed more like calling a corporation, they had more general information but if you wanted to dig down it is a problem and again you will need to find the "right" guy to get real detailed information.

As far as the actual systems go;

The MSD that I worked with (perhaps they have gotten better) did not impress me all that much. It was marketed as a "returnless" system but in bold print on the first page of the instructions it stated that while you "could" run it returnless you really needed a return line. The system worked ok for the most part but seemed clunky and kind of like something someone built in their garage.

The fitech Go Street system is well made overall, super simple to install and has worked exceptionally well. Has like 4 wires to hook up (along with a the right fuel system and an O2 sensor). It definitely has learned and I am very happy with it. I am running a Tanks Inc. tank and pump for this application with a return line and vent.

The Holley system I have (HP) was much more complicated than either the MSD or the Fitech, however it does control spark and fuel which is very nice. The HP computer is fairly large so finding a spot for it can be a challenge. In my case I put it into a 70 Challenger RT and I put the computer inside of the drivers side fender high up on top of the brace. It has water tight seals and thus far as been good. I am running a Tanks Inc. tank and pump with this car as well as a vent.

The FAST system I have is the EZ 1.0 which I bought many years ago and finally installed it last year with my F&B 6 pack. It is a relatively simple system but does have a decent sized harness for it. The controller is pretty small so mounting it isn't that much of an issue (mine is mounted behind my modified glove box. In this application I am running a modified stock gas tank with an external Walbro 255 lph pump which is mounted in the passenger side wheel well on the frame rail.

All of these systems essentially do the same thing and pretty much operate in the same way. The main differences really come down to pricing, looks and application. They will work pretty much equally if you install them on something you do not intend to modify, however if you intend to keep the system forever and build power over time then you need to look at each very closely; none of them are really up-gradable but will support a HP range and so long as you stay in there your are doing ok, but if you exceed that range you are going to be looking for something else to support it.

IMO it comes down to what you like because pretty much all of the self learn only systems are the same (generally). I am very happy with my Fitech system but love the tunability of my Holley system. The FAST system is pretty much the same as my Fitech system but there is a option to tune it with a laptop if I were to purchase their new controller.

Pick the one you like or looks the best to you. I am going to be putting EFI on my Hemi Road Runner and am thinking hard about using the Holley system that looks like a carb, purely for the looks.

No matter what system you choose, it will be the fuel system that will challenge you the most and is really the hardest to get your head around. The EFI systems are easy really, but the fuel system can be a pain the first time you have to deal with it. Its not that it is really hard, it is that it is a fair amount of work and there is lots to confuse you with online. Don't believe the BS, you need a return line, so this means 2 lines running the length of the car and the tank will have to accept this and there are several ways to do that. Am in-tank pump is the best option however you can absolutely run an external pump. You will need 2 filters, pre and post (depending on how you configure the system), you will probably need a by-pass regulator as well (again depending on the system). You will need to install a O2 sensor into the exhaust as well as installing a temperature sending unit.

Last but not least, you will have to have a good electrical system and depending on what you have in the car may need a new alternator along with new wiring for it. EFI not likes but demands good clean constant power and this is the #1 problem people have with them, or better said the #1 cause of issues with EFI.

David B

Reaction score
Thank you everyone. This is a lot of great info. It seem like the Holley might be the way to go since I plan on replacing the tank.

70chall440

Reaction score
I think you will have to replace the tank regardless of which system you choose, not sure why that would be specific to the Holley system. Not disagreeing with your choice, just saying that replacing the tank, or better said the fuel system overall is going to be a universal issue independent of the EFI system unless you decide to use one of the "command" type systems that puts the high pressure side inside the engine compartment via a canister unit.

fasjac

Reaction score
A guy that works for me put the Fitech on, used tanks inv, return line. The motor is a 340 warmed up pretty good.
Anyway, he bought it about six months ago and has spent no less than 6 hours on phone. They swapped controllers, harness and even the unit itself I think. He’s still not there. And this is a very tech savvy guy. Everyone friendly on the phone but....
Just what I’ve heard.

70chall440

Reaction score
I think any of them can have problems and if you look around you will find horror stories with them all. Not at all disagreeing with you or your buddy's experience, just saying that these are made by people and crap happens. That said, I can say that probably 90% of the problems encountered by uses retrofitting EFI to an older vehicle can be traced back to the electrical system. In many cases the vehicle is not generating enough power (amps) to correctly run the system, in other cases users hook the system up incorrectly and unintentionally damage the system (computer) which turns into a nightmare of trying to chase the problem. I have seen issues of a bad install that results in users pulling their hair out because the system doesn't work, they call the vendor and complain and get pissed when the vendor tries and walk through a diagnostic list, in some cases the vendor replaces the controller/computer only for the same thing to happen and ultimately the user becomes increasingly upset.

Of course, like any part there can be bad units out there and through no fault of the user/installer it just will not work and because it is essentially electronic, it is hard to test or determine the root cause of the problem. Also, since these are contained systems the average user/installer cannot swap out this or that part to fix it, pretty much left with the throttle body unit or the controller and there is really no reliable way to determine what is bad generally. This causes a huge amount of dissatisfaction and anger especially after you have spent all the time and money to get it into the vehicle.

Lastly, car guys have a lot of testosterone and many feel they know exactly what they are doing and subsequently do not sit down and read the instructions (we all have done it many times). Subsequently we make installation decisions based on what we think will work only to find out later that our decision was incorrect or inadequate; point-in-case, in most EFI systems that ground MUST be run to the negative side of the battery from the controller, not wrapped around some bolt or screw on the firewall or under the dash. We as car guys have been grounding various things in our cars for years but terminating wires to screws/bolts. Also, the positive side MUST be run to the positive side of the battery, but we have always been able to tap into a "hot" wire under the dash. Failure to follow the directions of the unit will kill them quickly. Also, there are guys out there running stock 60 amp alternators with stock wiring but have a big stereo, halogen headlights, electric fans, etc. that all have significant draws on the electrical system. If you add EFI to this system you will absolutely have problems.

fasjac

Reaction score
Absolutely agree with all you said. The guy I’m talking about is who you would trust to work on your car. He also read the install guide many times before touching anything. I do recall him mention certain information not included in the install instructions. We both know a couple guys that run this system on GM’s without a problem. But, they all can have bugs to be worked out.

DrEamer

Reaction score
I hope this is not too far off base, but since it was mentioned, I thought I can add what info is available on the Holley fuel tanks. They have a couple ways to go, starting with their Sniper EFI tank. It is a complete EFI conversionnew tank, with intank pump. The tank also has internal baffles and is powder coated. Most of the people that have seen the unit say it is just a rebadged unit from Tank Inc, which cost less then the Holley. The second option is a stock replacement tank that they sell, and adding what they call the Muscle Car EFI Modules. These units are made to retrofit into a stock tank, and offer a returnless system since they have an internal fuel pressure regulator. Most of the reviews on the retrofit modules had been good. I'm going to ask the vendor that I am going to use which is best before make my finale decision.

Holley Sniper EFI 19-137 Sniper EFI Fuel Tank System
Holley 12-318 Holley 255 LPH OE Style EFI Fuel Tank Modules

Last edited:

Steinman

Reaction score
David B, let me know how the Snipper works out.
I have a 340 Stroker putting out 380 at the wheel with a 4 speed.
Planning on installing FI and I am leaning toward the Holley.

David B

Reaction score
Sorry eibout the delay. I had heard that it was noisy but I think it was the electric fuel pump. I had to replace the fuel tank so I replaced it with the Holley tank with the fuel pump installed. The Holley works great no noise issues.

Back