• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Confirming compression stroke

kbiggar

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Simple question. Just want to confirm that I am on the right track here as I am having a difficult time “feeling” compression through the no1 spark plug hole. Also dont have anybody around atm to bump the starter.

Here are my thoughts- at TDC on the compression stroke, both valves will be closed on no1 (loose rockers), just after the intake valve closes, and both valves would be open (split overlapped) on no6 (tight rockers). On the exhaust stroke, the opposite would be true. Am I correct on this thinking?

moparleo

Reaction score
Stick the end of a shop rag in the spark plug hole and crank the engine. It will spit out the rag on the compression stroke.
What is the goal of finding the compression stroke ?
Did you remove the oil pump drive gear in the block ?

kbiggar

Reaction score
Thanks - yes, I cannot seem to make a good seal using a rag - but can hear the air squeezing out. Thanks for the confirmation.

Rons340

Reaction score
It sounds like that you have your driver's side valve cover off already so I would just get the valves closed on the front #1 cylinder as you mentioned by shorting the starter relay with a simple starter button attached to a couple of wiring leads. This eliminates the need for a second person (very handy to have). The relay is located on the inner fender by the battery, as I'm sure you already know. :) Be sure the timing marks are aligned at TDC. This will be your compression stroke and #1 firing position for your distributor.

You can also use a compression gauge to accomplish this as well.

Richard Rach

Reaction score
Parts stores can get a whistler that you thread into spark plug hole, turn crankshaft over with ratchet or breaker bar, it will tell you when you when your at TDC with 1 person. They work great!

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Details on how to "bump" the starter or use a remote starter switch for our E-Body starter relay.
CAUTION: Maker sure an automatic transmission is in Park or a manual transmission is in Neutral.

How to connect Remote Starter Switch to Starter Relay.jpg

Back