• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Convertible Hydraulics Questions

doubleyellow

Reaction score
Have my original 1970 cylinders, motor, hose assemblies.
All have been sitting wrapped-up in a box for 35 years.

Anyone attempt to clean and bench test the cylinders? Worth doing, or get new ones? They say they are not serviceable (they worked 35 year ago though ;))?

Hose assemblies - they look excellent, but anyone use their old ones and have hose failure, either along the hose, or at the fittings?

Motor - any way to bench test and work fluid through, or better to send out for service?

Would be amazing to use all the original hardware, BUT DO NOT WANT tranny fluid spraying all over the new interior.

Any advice would be appreciated!

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I’m guessing that the Motor(like power windows) are 12 volt so just simply get yourself a couple of jumper wires and a car battery to see if the Motor works. Reverse polarity to check both directions. That being said get a full quart of type F, iirc, and an empty bottle and transfer fluid from one to the other.

340challconvert

Reaction score
I would think that the biggest problem with them would be if the cylinders and motor were completely dry and "seized" up after sitting too long.
I'm with Matt on this; add fluid first and try to get as much into the cylinders and motor as possible and then put 12 volts to them. Let the fluid penetrate into the cylinders and the motor before putting any power to them.
Before I tore my car down, I found fluid in my back seat; the hoses had deteriorated and leaked. If everything tests out, I would replace at the least. the lines for sure.
The cylinders are rebuild-able if you wanted to keep original parts; some companies out there specialize in this.
Not worth taking a chance! JMO

Dino2 (2).gif

Last edited:
Back