• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Convertible top installation...

HooToTheCore

Reaction score
I'm planning to install a replacement convertible top on my '70 Challenger.

I have an air driven combo stapler/nailer. The staples for this tool are 18 gauge L type (which I believe is a 1/4 inch crown). The minimum leg length staple for this tool is 1/2 inch.

Will 1/4 inch crown with 1/2 inch leg stainless staples work installing my new top? I've seen requirements for staples to be 18 to 20 gauge stainless from 3/8 inch to 1/2 inch leg, but nothing that specifies the staple width.

Any advice? Thanks.

mmissile

Reaction score
Please post pics. I'm having mine completely reassembled professionally, after I have all the steel stuff stripped and e-coated. I'm not brave enough to screw it up.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Please post pics. I'm having mine completely reassembled professionally, after I have all the steel stuff stripped and e-coated. I'm not brave enough to screw it up.
I’ve got a guy if you need one. He came to my place and did mine, affordable and fast. I don’t think he was there more than 4 hours.:thumbsup:

mmissile

Reaction score
Mike just dropped-off my disassembled top. He said it was one of the nicest originals he's seen. We'll be using all the rubber pieces again, as well as the tack-strips, cables and pump. I'm taking all the steel parts to International Paint Strippers for cleaning and e-coat. I have a bunch of other stuff to hand-clean myself, and a few to go to QC-Coatings for powdercoat. I've decided to not do a white OEM material top. Gonna do something more elegant, and darker.

2znn6nk.jpg

152g4me.jpg

2eku4xt.jpg

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
I once rented a late model Mustang convertible on a vacation trip in Florida.
The car had a factory black canvas top; very elegant and gave the car a "European look".
The BMW converts I owned years back also had the canvas top material.
Changes the look of the car; giving it a touch of class-
There is a company that sells this type of top for the e body convertibles in a number of colors and are AMERICAN MADE;

www.ezsofttops.com/p-4132-1970-thru-1971-dodge-challenger-convertible-top-with-a-glass-window.aspx

More money (899.00 w glass window), not stock but it would look really nice! Just my opinion.

Dino2 (1).gif

Last edited:

mmissile

Reaction score
I've looked at lots of sites and color charts. I think I might go with Robbins tops. Anything under a grand for exactly what I want...will be okay.

DaveH

Reaction score
Does anyone know anyone in the south Florida area that would come to my shop and put mine on. I have all of the parts also. I know I may pay a premium but to me it would be worth it. Thanks

Back