• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Convertible top installation

Litchkar

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced their top themselves?
Mine is showing it’s age, and I want to replace it along with a glass window. Is this something I should pay a pro to do?

Avalanche

Reaction score
I bought my top from legendary and it had a glass window. Great quality.
As for install I had a professional do it, only cost $700. Well worth it for a great no wrinkle job.
I'm sure someone here has tried to install themselves and will chime in.

RJHJR

Reaction score
I got a quote to do one that was obscene so I'm in the process of doing two this summer.
There are some good videos out there and the service manual covers the mechanicals well.
Some parts can take a while to find.
The nailing strips in the drainage rail can be bought new from a guy who makes them in Florida.
His are perfect.
The correct size for the bows I had to cut down and I got the stock from him.
The felt for the bows came from a place in Detroit.
Let me know if you decide to do it or just want more info - don't have it with me now.

doubleyellow

Reaction score
The guy that did mine was fantastic.....but he said he does 1 top every day on average.

If you have lot's of time, try it yourself, but go really slow because you can't undo stapling and cutting mistakes. Also, absolutely go through the complete frame and window assemblies and line everything up perfectly.

I had my frame powdercoated....well worth the 200 bucks.....looks amazing. But again, you will lose all your alignments and will have to reinstall and realign.

Many little fasteners, pins, nuts, etc. that I did not expect......keep track of all items and take LOT'S of photos if you dissasemble.

Have fun.....good project

doubleyellow

Reaction score
I bought the top kit from Electron. Avalanche price (from above post) plus or minus 1 or 2 hundred depending on how much adjustments are needed to your top frame, and windows. Also need to figure in the well liner installation.

Make sure to inspect and replace any of the electrical or hydraulic components before doing the top !! Don't want tranny fluid all over the interior. My original hoses were absolutely brittle as glass and would have been a disaster to reuse them. I also replaced the seals on the motor/pump. Also, I didn't notice, but the wiring harness connectors were melting at the Fuse Block!! In other words, check the complete system before spending money on the top. It's complex with lot's of potential failure modes.

Good luck

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Mine was super cheap. I was charged hourly and he was at my shop for 4 hours. He removed the old and installed the new Electron top. I gave him a bag of new boot clips and my original boot when he left. He replaced half of them and charged me 60 bucks. All in for labor it was a shade over $300. He made me hire him to replace it!:lol:

Back