• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Convertible Well Liner - Lot's of Questions

doubleyellow

Reaction score
Finally opened the box on a replacement well liner from Legendary. It's not even close to my original. Maybe my "original" is not "original", so please let me know if the following pictures and descriptions match your original well liner (1970 Challenger, Black Top)

#1 the original stitching on the cloth side is red, Legendary used black
#2 the original stitching on the grain side is white, Legendary used black. (The original black thread may have totally lost all pignment?)
#3 the original grain appears to be Coachman? Legendary grain totally different
#4 the snaps between the original and Legendary are reversed
#5 From the center of the well, to the right and left, the 3rd snap location on the Legendary is about 3/4" off compared to the original
#6 The snap plastic strip is white on the original, and clear on the Legendary

Please let me know if your original liners are closer to my "original" or closer to the Legendary. Thanks.

IMG_0883.JPG
IMG_0882.JPG
IMG_0881.JPG
IMG_0880.JPG
IMG_0879.JPG
IMG_0878.JPG
IMG_0877.JPG

340challconvert

Reaction score
Interesting on my original well boot; the date is correct for my spd but the boot says "Barr". They gave me a cuda boot for my Challenger vert Dated Oct 7, 1969
Hope the above info helps!
Phil

IMG_4744.jpg

doubleyellow

Reaction score

340challconvert

Reaction score
@340challconvert....did you reuse your original? or buy new repro? If so, which vendor?

Sadly, my original is in poor condition, again w a piece missing.
Years ago I picked up an aftermarket boot (probably at Carlisle), but the plastic is now questionable.
I may just order a new repro when ready. I was going to look at Legendary.
Another source I found; a little cheaper, and not sure about quality and fit?
Dodge Challenger Convertible Top Boot, 1970-71 Challenger. Boots, Brite - CB70CJ00017 | Pro/Fit Auto Interiors, Oxford AL

I thought about having a good, local upholstery make one up.
Dino2 (1).gif

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Interesting thread, I’ll have to have a closer look at mine. I didn’t see a reason to replace mine when I replaced the top.

doubleyellow

Reaction score
Hi Matt, you going to the Tech Center show next week? Would be great to take a look at your car and some details on the convertible top.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I may be going up north unless the weather doesn’t cooperate in Traverse City in which case we’re staying down here and I’ll be there. I did register for the show.

doubleyellow

Reaction score
Thanks SunFun, that backs up the original construction......Legendary told me to ship back the new one and my original and they will try to match original as best they could.....just keeps setting back my resto:BangHead:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Thanks SunFun, that backs up the original construction......Legendary told me to ship back the new one and my original and they will try to match original as best they could.....just keeps setting back my resto:BangHead:
I’ll be at he CEMA show.:thumbsup:

70SunFun

Reaction score
You're welcome doubleyellow! Glad to offer up some information to help you out. Everyone on this web site is very helpful and unselfish. That's great that Legendary is cooperating with you to match the original well liner. Sorry about the resto set back but it will all be worth it when completed. Good luck!

Back