• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Coolant Leak from Manifold?

Mocktwo

Reaction score
I have a 440 Magnum in my 72 Challenger. Stored for the winter I noticed coolant in the floor tray I had under it. Tracing it up, I see coolant on the manifold to exhaust connection (driver's side). The side of the engine is dry, soft plugs are dray. I am perplexed ... ideas welcome before I start to take things apart ...

PXL_20220413_204244811.jpg

PXL_20220413_204809956.jpg

greatscot3

Reaction score
In the iron 440 heads the exhaust manifold bolts actually screw into the water jackets (poor design).
If you install the exhaust manifolds without putting sealant on the ends of the studs they will almost always start to leak coolant.
Edelbrock aluminum heads have the exhaust manifold deck extended .125" and they closed off the helicoil threaded stud holes to the water jackets.

Mocktwo

Reaction score
Ugh (thanks), All manifold bolts or just some?
A sealant like Permatex?
Pull one bolt at a time and seal, or remove the manifold?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
A sealant like Permatex?
You will have to drain the coolant from the block before doing this and you can do it one screw or stud at a time.

tonysrt

Reaction score
B, RB and hemi's don't have water through the intake manifold. Probably an exhaust manifold bolt that is leaking, unless the head to the block is the culprit.

moparlee

Reaction score
A sealant like Permatex?
Studs are preferred over bolts, that's what came from the factory.
Any good thread sealant, don't use RTV.

greatscot3

Reaction score
Yes, drain at least some of the coolant because when you pull even one of the manifold bolts or studs it will start pissing coolant all over.
I used Permatex grey on my '68 iron heads before I put the new Edelbrock heads on it and it held up well enough.
One thing that some people hate to hear is using Bars Leak if you can't get something to seal.
One thing that is not common knowledge is that for many years, GM used Bars Leak in brand new cars that had never leaked anything before they sent them out the door.
They did this because it was easier doing that than getting a new car back from a customer to fix a leak after the fact That's really true. I didn't believe it at first and I looked into it and found out I was told correctly.
If you are interested, this is a thread from BBodiesonly about the same manifold bolt/stud subject.

Mocktwo

Reaction score
greatscot3, I have the Permatex and I will keep Bars leak in mind. Thank you.

Rons340

Reaction score
I have experienced the same issue with 340 engines. The outer studs on the front and rear of the heads penetrate the water jacket and will certainly leak without sealer applied. I use liquid teflon on everything coolant related. No further issues!
Watch those bolts in the timing cover/water pump area also!

Mocktwo

Reaction score
I have experienced the same issue with 340 engines. The outer studs on the front and rear of the heads penetrate the water jacket and will certainly leak without sealer applied. I use liquid teflon on everything coolant related. No further issues!
Watch those bolts in the timing cover/water pump area also!
Thanks. Do you have a brand you like? High Temp?
What I found was "Permatex 59214 High Temperature Thread Sealant"

Rons340

Reaction score
This is what I have used for many years. $8.99 at the Zone.

Attachments

• 1650729305521.png
    1650729305521.png
    58 KB · Views: 128
Back