• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Cooper Cobra Radial GTs or Hankook Kinergy ST (H735)s

elnielsen

Reaction score
Tire Talk! I'm coming near the end of my suspension overhaul and it's time to order rubber (Wait do they make graphite injected polyeurethane tires?).

Tirerack stats say the Coopers are superior. Some outfit back east called Mavis Tire says the opposite (as in stats show the Hankooks superior (except both say the hankooks are better in snow, which my tires will never see)). There is not a lot of stat's to be found to go off...

What does appear evident is the Cobras appear more readily available, through the Hankooks are new in the last two years. What say you guys? Or is it worth splurging for the Mickey Thompsons? If you guys don't come to a consensus, I'm taking the 33's off the Heep and rocking a MownstaCuda.

moparleo

Reaction score
The RWL tires have 2 more layers of sidewall rubber. Means nothing at standard speeds but builds up heat at higher speeds. You notice there aren't any RWL tires made anymore. Just for the older cars that need the LOOK.

elnielsen

Reaction score
Oh, and I'm looking for 235/60-R15s. And the only look I'm going for is lowered. I always put white letters inside anyway cause white only lasts 6 months. I live in the mountains.

moparleo

Reaction score
There is a good reason to not buy the raised letter tires. You hide them anyway and mountain driving generates a lot of heat in the tires. Keep the air pressure up . You are now really limited by the size you are looking for. Always more to the story than in the beginning. Should have posted the size rim and tire you were shopping for. 15" Tires are for Pre 1980 cars. Small rims and brakes.

elnielsen

Reaction score
I know.. What started as a $448 polyeurethane kit + suspension parts has grown into +$382 steering box rebuild, +$141 more suspension parts, +$373 torsion bars, and now I need $450 tires then a $360 alignment and $150 mount/bal, and don't want to afford a new set of rims.. Knowing a brake upgrade is next cause my brother thinks so.. non-power drums are fine if you brake early and often and know how to work with them, and he's against hydroboost conversion. I think after this project I'm done for a good long time, the paint needs mitigation triage before other projects get planned.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
For 15 " I would use Coopers
Who is charging $360 for a wheel alignment , I would almost fly up there & do it for you for that !! $60 is too much

AUSTA

Reaction score
I run the Mastercraft Avenger GT pretty much the same tyre

elnielsen

Reaction score
I had been taking my cars to the local tire shop for alignments for decades. At the time, I owned a 1969 Mach 1 390, and I took it to this new place that usually does ferarri's and lambos.. I brought in a jalopy that started turning after you moved the wheel a fourth of a rotation.. They handed me back a car that handled like a Porsche.. I was like WTF have these people been charging me for alignments for my entire life???? Also, man I drove the **** out of that car... So, now I do not trust any other shop. I have told them I replaced all the rubber with poly, and I dropped it (will) two inches, and need it aligned for new tires. And the last pair wore badly before I replaced the suspension and did an adolecent job of measuring everything to make sure it goes back the way it was. They explained for old cars like mine they charge shop time, two hours minimum.. Even then, I plan to go through the alignment as explained in the Plymouth Chassis Service Manual because I want perfection, and then drive it on the old tires for a week to get the new suspension to work itself into settling before having them set it for good and the good of the new rubber.

For 15 " I would use Coopers
Who is charging $360 for a wheel alignment , I would almost fly up there & do it for you for that !! $60 is too much

Back