• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Cost of engines?

B2G707

Reaction score
Whats usually the average cost of a 340 engine if you can find one?

Adam

Reaction score
There are two types, forged crank until April of 72, and cast crank thereafter..
Lots of good info on Allpar.com

340challconvert

Reaction score
I've seen disassembled 340's in pieces for as low as 500. Typically complete used engines in running or rebuildable condition; 1500-2500. Rebuilt engines go from 2500 and up depending on what was done on the rebuild. Forged cranks 1968-71 - high compression motors sell slightly higher then the later lower compression engines. Of course custom builds sell from engine re-builders 4500 and up.
Condition always affects price.

Last edited:

Tbone416

Reaction score
I have a 73 340 cash crank .030 over
.010 .010 on the crank
Rod's resized
heads redone
KB Pistons
Mopar performance cam
I should have it completed in about 2 weeks
I'm looking to get $3,600 for it
I hope this helps and give you some kind of idea what you're getting into But Steel crank motor would probably add $1,000 to the deal

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
2nd gen Hemi
I would just build a 360 stroker the engine will be nearly free , 87 - 92 are already set up for hyd roller cams , far cheaper to build than a 340

Adam

Reaction score
I like to use searchtempest.com

It searches all the craigslist within whatever distance you want from your zip code; also searches eBay at the same time.

Right now, near Seattle there is a 72 340 for sale, rebuilt, .030, etc. listed for $3800.
It looks nice, too much cam imo, unsure about the crank, but I agree with Chryco about the 360; that way you pick the components and know what’s in it.

There is also a fresh 408 stroker, forged crank, aluminum heads, etc. also for $3800.

Last edited:

B2G707

Reaction score
I like to use searchtempest.com

It searches all the craigslist within whatever distance you want from your zip code; also searches eBay at the same time.

Right now, near Seattle there is a 72 340 for sale, rebuilt, .030, etc. listed for $3800.
It looks nice, too much cam imo, unsure about the crank, but I agree with Chryco about the 360; that way you pick the components and know what’s in it.

There is also a fresh 408 stroker, forged crank, aluminum heads, etc. also for $3800.

First off just heads up pretty new to all this. I owned my 70 Challenger for only 2 years, so I’m still learning.

With that said heres whats going on. Theres definitely something wrong with my engine everyone saying its a leak. Plus it shakes pretty bad(hard).

How much would this leak cost me? If I end up spending over $2000 might as well buy a 340 for $1600 right?

So thats where I’m at unfortunately.

B2G707

Reaction score
Thank you to everyone for your feedback also.

KATSAAR

Reaction score
I have a 70 340 steel crank complete motor heads to pan all apart standard bore.
needs to be bored.
$1100.00
that's what I paid for it.
whats your location b2g

B2G707

Reaction score
I have a 70 340 steel crank complete motor heads to pan all apart standard bore.
needs to be bored.
$1100.00
that's what I paid for it.
whats your location b2g

I’m in the Bay Area

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Often you are just buying other peoples problems buying complete engines .
Why is it shaking , balance problem or misfiring or just a big cam ?
What kind of leak do you believe is the issue ?

B2G707

Reaction score
Often you are just buying other peoples problems buying complete engines .
Why is it shaking , balance problem or misfiring or just a big cam ?
What kind of leak do you believe is the issue ?

In LA this Mopar mechanic checked it and couldn’t find an issue as misfiring. He even said he took the heads off to look deeper into it and couldn’t find anything.

This is how it sounds and you can see it shake

aussiemark

Reaction score
Grab a pair of well insulated pliers and remove the plug lead from the plug and check for a drop in rpm and more shaking, put the lead back on and check for rpm increase the move on to the next lead keep doing it till you come to one that there is no change when lead is removed this will be the problem cylinder.

brotow

Reaction score
My 340 six pack cost me $4000 to have it rebuilt, that included new pistons, rings, bearings, cam, gaskets, carb rebuilds, oil pump and using some of my "good usable" parts., rods, forged crank, etc.

100_2153.jpg

Steinman

Reaction score
Regarding the engine miss.
Did you check for a bent pushrod or misalignment of the pushrod to rocker.
I had a similar problem with roller rockers and found the pushrod was not seated properly into the rocker.
It didn't miss out but you could hear the clicking of the rocker. I through I heard a similar clicking in your video.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
Hmm, I was just thinking about selling what I have for a 340 that I took in on trade with a bunch of other stuff.

340 Block has been mag checked & freshly bored .030 over, New matched set +.030 over pistons, mag checked & re-sized rods, Ground & polished crank. Everything was greased & has been sitting for years waiting on more parts. Also have brand new six pack intake manifold.

Back