• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Cowl Top Panel Seal

Steve340

Reaction score
I saw a factory diagram which showed a small square sealing adhesive strip applied to the cowl top to seal a hole that is partially under the cowl rubber seal.
The hole is in the upper cowl panel somewhere near the last two clips on the outside of the curve in the rubber on both sides.
I cannot find it again - it may have been posted here also. Tried a search but no luck.
My question is:
Is this adhesive square body colour - in other words was it applied then the body painted?
Or - was it stuck on after painting?
Thanks Steve

Adam

Reaction score
The wiper cowl? I have never seen what you are describing; but what would be the point of sealing it since water flows in freely…

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
You are referring to this hole. In the depth of my mind I do recall there was covered with a tape like material both sides.

Attachments

• 20220306_121356.jpg
    20220306_121356.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 93

Steve340

Reaction score
Yes that is the hole. Mine was definitely cover with a gooey type of tape.
I have a couple of reference books and they show cars with and without the tape.
I have put the tape on for now.
Just curious what people know about the final finish. Left natural or painted.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
It was put on after paint was cured. The cars were baked to cure the paint. I doubt it would have survived the process. It is a black cloth tape. It got gooey with age.

Steve340

Reaction score
OK noted. I am making an assumption here - that if applied it was left black.
That fits with what reference books have pictures of on unrestored cars. Some have the cloth tape some do not.

Lemontwist

Reaction score
I saw a factory diagram which showed a small square sealing adhesive strip applied to the cowl top to seal a hole that is partially under the cowl rubber seal.
The hole is in the upper cowl panel somewhere near the last two clips on the outside of the curve in the rubber on both sides.
I cannot find it again - it may have been posted here also. Tried a search but no luck.
My question is:
Is this adhesive square body colour - in other words was it applied then the body painted?
Or - was it stuck on after painting?
Thanks Steve
It is not tape. It is a sticky back asphalt like sealer. Frank Badelson sells them

Back