• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Cragar S/S mag mounting issue

hammer

Reaction score
I have a 1971 convertible with the stock drum brakes in the front. I went to mount my new Cragar S/S mags on the front and because of the large fins on the drum the rim will not mount flush to the drum. I can put a 1/2 spacer in to shim out the drum but am having trouble finding replacement lug bolts that are a 1/2 to 3/4 inch longer. Other than upgrading to disc brakes, does anyone know where I can find the longer lug bolts? Thanks.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I can’t say I’ve ever heard of anybody having a problem fitting any wheel over any Mopar brake drum. What size is the wheel?

quapman

Reaction score
You can get wheel adapters that have the 4-1/2" bolt pattern on the holes and studs. I have friends who have done this with no issues. The adapters are usually 1 to 1/1-/4" thick.

hammer

Reaction score
I can’t say I’ve ever heard of anybody having a problem fitting any wheel over any Mopar brake drum. What size is the wheel?
I didn't think it would be a problem either. These are 15 inch rims. The stock 14 inch rim was indented to fit into the drum.

hammer

Reaction score
You can get wheel adapters that have the 4-1/2" bolt pattern on the holes and studs. I have friends who have done this with no issues. The adapters are usually 1 to 1/1-/4" thick.
I have no problem with a spacer, but I need longer studs to bolt the wheel to.

Daves69

Reaction score
Depending on the knurl diameter you might look at some cut down 3" from Summit or Jegs.

Don't forget the stock drum studs are peened to hold the drum on the hub. Don't just press them out and damage the hub knurl.

hammer

Reaction score
Depending on the knurl diameter you might look at some cut down 3" from Summit or Jegs.

Don't forget the stock drum studs are peened to hold the drum on the hub. Don't just press them out and damage the hub knurl.
Thanks for the info, I called Dorman today and they gave me a Ford stud that may work. Going to get one right now.

quapman

Reaction score
The spacers I refer to have 5 holes and 5 studs. You bolt the spacer to the car, then bolt the wheel to the spacer.

moparleo

Reaction score
M..I..C............K..E..Y............M-O-U-S-E........... If you need to use adapters, that is telling you it wasn't designed for your application. Go with another wheel type if you want to stay with the O.E.drum set-up. Everything has its price. Just depends on how far you want to go... If you just bought your new wheels and they don't fit correctly, the seller should take them back.

hammer

Reaction score
M..I..C............K..E..Y............M-O-U-S-E........... If you need to use adapters, that is telling you it wasn't designed for your application. Go with another wheel type if you want to stay with the O.E.drum set-up. Everything has its price. Just depends on how far you want to go... If you just bought your new wheels and they don't fit correctly, the seller should take them back.
If I wanted sarcasm I'd watch Jimmy Kimmel. Going with longer studs and a spacer is a more economical solution than spending $$$ for a disk brake set up. This was a situation that neither my tire guy nor I anticipated. He even came to my home to see the issue.

Back