• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

crate engine experience

rogue

Reaction score
I'm debating getting a crate engine for my challenger rather than trying to find a 360 and rebuild it. Does anyone have experience with any of the big crate engine guys? I'm looking at Indy cylinder heads, cm engines and a few others.

AUSTA

Reaction score
I'm debating getting a crate engine for my challenger rather than trying to find a 360 and rebuild it. Does anyone have experience with any of the big crate engine guys? I'm looking at Indy cylinder heads, cm engines and a few others.
I purchased a 340 from Mopar Madness in Colorado it lasted about 20 seconds they fitted KB 243 pistons with E/Q heads & fitted a .039"head gaskets all the pistons slammed into the heads there was not enough gap
When i stripped it down 3 of the spiral locks were handing out of the pistons plus other problems.
Get a good machinist to do your block & other bits its not hard to put the engine together at least you will know the quality of the parts inside.

Relax426

Reaction score
I work at a restoration shop and we have had customers from time to time do crate motors. Depends really who you buy from. Personally I have a good machinist and builder who backs up his work so that's my 2 cents. I would think Hughes Engines might be a good choce if they do whole motors. INDY sadly lost my business with poor customer service.

IQ52

Reaction score
I have some crate engine experience.

But because I build custom engines it is all bad experiences with the crate engines. Nobody ever brought me a crate engine and said, "Hey this crate motor is working great! Find out why and make it run like crap."

It's always the other way around. I get crate engines and they say, "Jim, this 528 Hemi doesn't run like a 528 Hemi. FIX IT for me please. Or, This 496 I got from so-in-so smokes like a forest fire. Find out whats wrong."

There has gotta be good running crate engines out there. Just nobody ever brings 'em to me.

rogue

Reaction score
IQ52, thanks for the info... can you share how often you get this? Based on the couple of responses here i'm definitely leaning away from this option

IQ52

Reaction score
IQ52, thanks for the info... can you share how often you get this? Based on the couple of responses here i'm definitely leaning away from this option

Four in the last two years. Crate companies have made more than two engines per year so there are crate engines that are working fine.

panheadchuck

Reaction score
I purchased a 340 from Mopar Madness in Colorado it lasted about 20 seconds they fitted KB 243 pistons with E/Q heads & fitted a .039"head gaskets all the pistons slammed into the heads there was not enough gap
When i stripped it down 3 of the spiral locks were handing out of the pistons plus other problems.
Get a good machinist to do your block & other bits its not hard to put the engine together at least you will know the quality of the parts inside.

Im sorry to hear that about your engine . I will be taking over Mopar Madness in a few months and there will be some BIG changes . Let me know if i can help you out with anything in your build i wasnt part of your 340 build but i would try to help any way

Back