• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Cuda Ebody Door Handle Install Instructions

slepr1

Reaction score
I thought I'd write up some info on removing and replacing cuda door handles (Challengers may be the same, I don't know). I needed to get the locks fixed on my 71 cuda since they didn't work and that meant removing the handles. I searched several ebody sites and couldn't find enough info. That would have saved me hours of scratching my arms up and worse of all, I scratched my billboard around the handle. But after talking to a mopar guy I know (thanks Les) I figured it out and it was a 10-15 minute job.

To Remove:
Remove the door panels. Roll window up. Inside the door frame, the door handle will have 2 rods attached. The upper rod operates the door opener and is a bit thicker than the bottom one, which operates the door lock. Starting with the upper rod, locate the top of the rod which attaches to the door handle. It is being held in with a plastic link rod clip that releases with a pry of a flat heat screwdriver. Pull the rod out of the opened clip and rest the top of the rod away from the handle, do not remove the rod completely. Next is the lower rod. Notice where the lower rod attaches to the door strike at the bottom of the rod. That connection is simply pushed into a plastic bushing. Using needle nose pliers, give the lower part of the rod a short pull, it will just pop out. Grap that rod and notice how it is held in the locking mechanism of the door handle. Give the rod a little spin and it will come right out. Lastly, find the nut located in the rear of the handle and remove. That's it...gently remove the handle and plastic gasket.

If re keying, fixing or replacing the lock...remove 2 screws from back of door handle. Notice how the cylinder is held in place. The holder is slotted so it must go back the same way. Bring the cylinder to a locksmith for service.

To Replace:
Return the door handle to the door and don't forget the plastic gasket. Attach the nut that holds the door handle to the door. Locate the upper rod and push the top of the rod into the plastic link rod clip (it will line right up). Using needle nose pliers push the plastic locking tab back over the rod. Locate the locking mechanism of the door handle and insert the 2nd rod into hole and give the rod a spin and it will stay in place. Push the bottom of the rod into the plastic bushing. That's it that's all.

Job well done. If you break any clips they are available. If anyone has anything to add that I may of missed, please post.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Nice of you to post that up, its great to have reference material like this for those that need it.

jf_ebody

Reaction score
This post just saved me two hours worth of headache!! Thanks.

Back