• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

dash bulb replacement in non-rallye dash of 71 Challenger

Jim Kullas

Reaction score
I have a 71 Challenger with the non-rallye dash, so it has 3 idiot lights: high beams, brake system error, and low oil pressure. I believe the bulb is burned out on the low oil pressure light. Are these bulbs accesses from the front by pulling off the dash gauge panel, or are the bulbs accessed from the rear by going up behind the dash? If they are accesses from behind the dash, is access to the bulbs via a threaded connection, or a twist and pop-out connection, or something different still. Any help in how to get access to the bulb itself would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
Factory service manual says, To replace the following bulbs
Highbeam indicator
Brake warning
Oil pressure
The radio must be removed
The bulb is a #57
The bulb socket will pull straight out of the cluster, then the bulb twists and pulls out of the socket.
Get a bulb first and you'll see how it attaches to the socket.
If you could see the socket you might do it without pulling the radio, but if it's a stock radio its only the two bolts at the bottom and the side strap, and wiring. 5 minutes or less.
Pulling the drivers seat will make it way more comfy on your back as well.

Jim Kullas

Reaction score
Great info! Thanks. I was dreading having to pull the dash panel....now I know I don't need to do that. I have a stock AM radio, which I have pulled before, so no big deal. I will take your suggestion and get a #57 bulb prior to pulling out the bulb socket. I really appreciate your help.

Ls1slow

Reaction score
Is this the same process to replace bulbs for the rallye gauge indicator bulbs. Or is it more difficult.

Back