• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Dash Cluster Amp Gauge Insulator source required

GreenOnions

Reaction score
Guys & Gals,

I need to obtain a new fiber insulator for the amp gauge in a standard 70 Challenger dash. I have come up empty with the usual sources, and am thinking of making one, however will buy if one is available. Anyone know where one might be found? See photo for remains of insulator following gauge anomaly.

I am replacing the existing damaged gauge with a new item and although I have already completed the alt/batt bypass, I would like a functioning gauge even if it is meaningless with most of the current going elsewhere. The repainted/rebuilt dash with a new harness is just about ready to get re-installed.

Thanks,

Insulator.jpg

NoCar340

Reaction score
The item in question was never serviced by Chrysler as far as I can tell. However, it's neither cluster nor even E-body specific either. Finding a restoration-correct one shouldn't be too tough, although it's going to be used. Chrysler used ammeters well into the '80s. Aftermarket ammeters often included that piece, and I'd almost bet such insulators could be found on off-brand clusters as well.
If you can live without it being show-worthy, you could make a replacement from anything with high dielectric strength and reasonable heat resistance. My suggestion would be to cut one out of the case of an old "wall wart" power supply (most of us have a few of those lying around) and call it good. It's black, it's a great insulator, and it's designed to work in a hot environment. There are a million things you could use--I once fashioned a makeshift insulator for the alternator power stud on my Charger from a metering-block gasket on the roadside (long story)--it's just a matter of how correct you feel you need to be. The original was just high-density cardboard in most cases.

GreenOnions

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'm not after restoration correct, so will probably just cut up something suitable like you suggest. Will use some insulators to make sure the terminal posts can't touch the cluster housing also.

Back