• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Do you like it on top or bottom?

junkyard

Reaction score
I'm in the process of doing an engine swap and have seen several different positions on this subject. My question is, is it better to remove the engine and transmission from the top through the hood or drop it through the bottom with the K-member?

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
I've done it both ways and prefer pulling it on the K member BY FAR. However, I'm fortunate to have a gantry to raise my car. That being said, I think the equipment you have available at your home or shop would be your major limitation.

junkyard

Reaction score
Ok, that helps. I do have a 2 post lift. I would just think unbolting 2 motor mounts and a transmission mount would be easier. I'll have to look at the other option for sure then.

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
I guess I should clarify — when I pulled the engine from the bottom, it was because I was already planning on rebuilding the front end and doing transmission work. You do have a good point in that there are less parts to deal with when pulling it from the top.

1972 AAR Cuda

Reaction score
I have done it both ways and I would drop the engine from the bottom if possible. I have place car dollies under the engine and transmission then used the engine hoist to lift the body from the engine (leaving the rear of the car on the rear wheels which allows the body to rotate when lifting the front end high enough to roll the engine out from the bottom).
Both times I was rebuilding the front end anyway, so that did influence what I was doing...

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I did it from the top many times but for years now I do it from the bottom , the engine can be virtually complete , no damage to paint far faster & easier to do .

fasjac

Reaction score
I would agree, drop it out. I’ve done it top side many times. I’m in the process of pulling one out now. Will have to be from the top. I just don’t have the rack at home and refuse to do it at work. At 60 years old, it’s really a a pain anymore.

v10man

Reaction score
I'm in the process of doing an engine swap and have seen several different positions on this subject. My question is, is it better to remove the engine and transmission from the top through the hood or drop it through the bottom with the K-member?
I brought the engine and transmission assembly up from the bottom. I already had the k-frame and front suspension out anyway and the car was on a hoist. It was very easy to do, with everything mounted to the k-frame first and then the body lowered over the assembly.

junkyard

Reaction score
Just FYI... I dropped the 2020 out the bottom and it was super easy. Not need to do the 73 but need to be able to roll it around for a while so may still bring that motor out the top.

Back